Chapter 13: Part 6

Song is Eat by Jack Conte.

Ralph didn't lift his head as the door burst open from above yet again, quietly but with force. Jack slowly and steadily walked down the stairs, expressionless but excited none the less.

He sat beside Ralph, a friendly yet hostile agreement settling between them as Jack looked down at him.

"The ships being attacked."

"I can hear."

Jack stood, slowly, displaying no fear of what was taking place above deck. Racket could be heard throughout the entire boat, and the ship was rocking with waves that could only be caused by a surplus of surrounding ships.

Jack reached his hand out to Ralph, who took it and stood up. Both boys took short strides to the stairs, neither in much of a hurry to find safety. They had been through far worse.

Jack reaches the door first, with Ralph closely behind him, swinging it open without a second thought. Jack walked with power, referencing his hunger for control and need for attention on the island. Ralph walked in the same manner.

The boys were all huddled together above deck, their eyes immediately settling on Jack and Ralph. Fear taunted the littluns, but most bigguns had forgotten how to feel or fear.

Fire was burning, engulfing the ship. Jack and Ralph glanced at each other, sharing a shy smile in the most curious of times.