1

A typical guy, you can see him in the corner of a pantry, eating his lunch alone like a total loser. The thing is, he's not.

A snub may be, he rarely smiles. Talk about 'don't talk to strangers' code as your mother always tells you when you're out without her.

That guy you'll secretly stalk, fish pieces of information, name, age, address, status, likes, dislikes, friends, familiar friends, hobbies, relationships into, girls who'll take few more inches to be with him, schedule. To even the worst part, yes, to be closer to him than just a face in the crowd.

He rides his motorcycle to work, no point of you sitting next to him on the way to where you both, well, share the same air.

All I know is his name is Ted.

What's his full name?

Theodore, just Theodore.

He should be called Theo instead of Ted.

People always have this thing about denying things that ignites them—a total lie.

This story starts where things were complicated. Adulthood. Flings. Interest. Work. Have you heard about never mixing work with pleasure? Listen to adults when they speak, it'll save you from the wreckage. Trust me; I am just as stubborn as you.

***

"Hands up!"

I know very well, his back, every strand of his hair, how he fixes that freaking hair for hours.

I know him. My stupid heart tells me, this organ was made to beat and function just for this criminal.

He's not moving, nor put his hands up. Gun aimed straight on his head. Denim and sheets!

"I said hands up!" I shouted once again.

"I heard you, Lau."

No, he didn't.

He shouldn't.

No one ever calls me that.

Only him.

***

A snap of fingers brought me back to reality. Am I spacing out again?

I look at him closely. He seemed familiar; what's his name again?

"How have you been today?" a concerned tone; however, it's not enough for me to tell him what I feel or think.

Besides, I don't talk to strangers.

Never.

I stand and pretend that I never heard him. I walked a few steps away from that guy who broke my privacy. Should I thank him, though? Besides, it wasn't a good memory to look after.

I should head back to the office to work. Yes, I should work my ass out instead of reminiscing stupid shits.

Unhealthy for my brain and my heart.

"Hey, where are you going?" the same guy, maybe he's an admirer? Haha! Or perhaps he just needs something.

"Non of your business, sir." I chanted nonchalantly.

"You are my business, even if you don't want to." Flashing a smile, that smile, I think I saw it somewhere.

"Well, unlucky for you." Poker face as I walk past him.

The guard opened the door for me wearing that serious face, like everything today was odd. Like he was just forced to do what he does, but he had to do it.

"I'll be working onto some documents, and I don't want distractions from anyone, ask for my permission before someone enters the room," I shouted before closing the door.

"Are you working late today, Lau?"

"Yeah, how about you?"

"I'll just be around the corner if you need anything."

"Anything new?" The guard shook his head like it was all he could say.

Looking through the closed door, the guy breathed like life was harder than anyone can ever imagine.

"I'm Laura, care to share your umbrella?" desperate times need desperate decisions.

I introduced myself to Ted. It may sound cheap, but who cares. I wanted to be part of his 'today' even for once.

"No, I mean...yes sure." he moved enough for us not to get soaked in the rain.

"Thanks." Well done, Laura, one point."

"Hand me over your books and move closer here." He held his hand as I gave him my so-called books. After getting my stuff, he suddenly pulled me closer to him, way closer than I could imagine before.

"Can you walk faster? I don't wanna get soaked under the rain." So I thought he'll take advantage of me.

Jeez!

"Here, you can keep the umbrella; I'll get it tomorrow." He steps on the bus while I was left dumbfounded with his umbrella still in my hand.

I just imagined waving goodbye as the vehicle slowly fading away from my sight for my hands are full.

Oh, wait! The documents!

What was I thinking, those were confidential files!

I snap myself of those memories again. They've been hunting me like forever.

The door opened, and there was Alice, a good friend of mine, I've known her for like, a little bit of forever.

"Staying late again?"

"Yeah, couple more files to study, though." Tapping on my left side of papers.

Alice frowned.

"You should rest, dear."

"Maybe after these, a detective should work harder to catch those criminals still living a life they fathomed from innocent people."

I rolled a fist, and I hated 'bad' decisions done by 'bad' people.

"A'right might as well drink this to calm you up." I just looked at the mug, and a smile formed my lips.

"You do love me so much Alice, huh?" Joking at her, she shrugs her shoulder as she checks on the files marked 'finished.'

She stayed in silence until she was bored, maybe. They walk away with my mug. What a thoughtful lady indeed.

"Don't wait for the sun to come up, have a rest, detective."

---

Aya's note:

This story is a work of art, any names, places, situations that may seem similar in real life is not intended. Thus all came from my mind. Please don't copy it. I eat people who plagiarized other people's work. It's a shame and shame on you if you do so. This cost half my brain cells to write. And my whole night to encapsulate, charot! I ask for enough courage to type, especially in English, my brain is bleeding, lol! Plus, it's a dry run, expect typo which I am as much as possible.

Hit the 🌟 button after if you believe that this chapter deserves it. Thank you! Mabuhay Rotonda 🏆