Flash report; Five drug pushers and two police officers were caught in the act of re-packing and shipping illegal drugs- were arrested today on a buy-bust operation. Held under PNP, PDEA, and SWAT Team at 3 am in the public place of Macarena, South-Eastern part of Lugo province.

The pushers who have been in the long list for a year now was successfully caught alive and will be locked in prison without bail.

Television reporter is still talking about the news while Laura is looking intently at the screen, poker face. Like it was still not good news, not even a bit.

Phone rings.

"Hello?"

"If you forget about our date and you'll gonna standstill in front of the departments' television is fine with me as long as you put something on your tummy, silly girl."

Shocks. Denim and sheets!

"I'm heading out now, 'boss,' sorry!" A walk but more like a run to be out as soon as possible is what I did.

He was there, standing next to his motorcycle, hand me over a helmet, and collected my stuff.

"It's not your first time to put this, yet you act like it is, eh?" He is dangerous, but a little smile from his lips. Talk about the good looking guy, fixing your helmet?

Heaven.

"Did I keep you waiting here? I am so sorry."

"Shush, you'll have to make it over after dinner then." I felt my cheeks were on fire.

Silly me, silly thoughts!

"Ah, I-I'm..."

"Let's go, Detective Lau."

***

"What are you working on today, detective?" That same guy who keeps bugging me again.

I just don't remember where he came from.

Does he need to pop anywhere, every time?

"Did you eat?"

I did, and I don't like the food they cooked today, I just need to put something on my tummy so my brain can function correctly.

"It's nicer to walk outside, the weather's nice today, breathe some fresh air, do you want to join me?"

No. I prefer reading my files and looked for the missing pieces to this case.

Besides, walking outside is dull, with a total stranger who bugs you every time.

No, I won't even if I wanted to catch fresh air, better catch those criminals first.

I got busy until Alma (err what's her name again?) pops with my mug, I can see the smoke as she hands me over my favorite drink. Good days need a good coffee.

"Thanks, dear," I mouthed without a single word. She just nodded and took some files from my 'finished' works.

"Working on a new case, detective?"

"Yeah, this one's quite confusing though..." brows furrow as I scanned the documents.

"Why is that so?"

"You see, this suspect is..."

***

"What will make you smile today, Lau?" His full attention was on mine, looking intently at my eyes, face to face. I don't mind being close to Ted, but today seems different.

He acts differently, though.

We've been in a relationship for some time now, it was a fast-phase, or so I thought. It felt like we've known each other for so long.

And have seen my future with him. I just don't know if he feels the same way too.

For the first time after those stressful cases that I have been holding now --drugs, human trafficking, human wickedness-- I got scared asking.

I would never want to conclude.

I can't be wrong, can't I.

What if I am not what I thought and wish him to be, that maybe my feelings and aspirations are not the same as his. What if he gets bored.

And leave me?

"Spacing out again..." I heard him say before he stands up. What was I thinking?

Back to earth, Laura! Fix yourself.

"I was just thinking about..."

"A new case? Lau, if this one's, well, if you feel like taking a rest, a need for a break, why not breath?" Tone serious as he stares at my bookshelves.

"It's not about that case, Teddy. It's about..." I stood up and followed him, wrapped my arms around his body. His body always feels warm. Relaxing.

"...us". I continued.

"Do we have a problem, Lau?" Suddenly in a blink of an eye, he is the one wrapping his whole being to mine—a gentle cuddle.

Who would ever think of problems when you're with the person who makes your world beautiful?

"Yes, we do have a problem." I joke and force myself to look sad, as much as possible, and I hoped it works.

"Try me, and I have all my life to fix it."

***

The guard makes their third rounds for tonight, making sure everything is' under control. The silence signifies something that's not right.

In a typical scenario, you hear wailing and sudden bumps, loud slams from metal doors on the far side of the building. Next to the garden, people are usually walking on a chilly morning to catch the breeze or sometimes just before sunset when the sky is decorated with brushes of lazy-yet-lovely hues.

"The light makes my eyes hurt, like a sharp yet burning sensation over here." The doctors check the affected area properly.

"Any other pain you're experiencing?" There's this another girl standing next to the doctor, busy taking notes of every essential detail.

"That's just it, can I go back to work after?"

"When you feel much better, for now, I'll be giving you a pain killer so you can sleep better tonight." She nods as the doctor signaled the nurse for the medication.

"But I don't want medicines," then looks at the nurse, her stare is a warning.

"Don't worry, you won't even feel this," before the syringe touches her skin, everything went back to normal.

Guards rush over a particular room, that same spot.

"Hello?"

"We need you to be here as soon as possible." The other line hang-up already.

_____

010819

Thank you for reading. Unedited.

👿👻👾