Chapter 2

"She ain't into winin' and dinin'. She's shootin' whiskey, singin' sweet child o' mine. Ridin' 95, sitting shotgun pretty," I hear as I turn over in bed and pick up my phone. "What time is it?" I grumble into the phone. "It's 10am lazy pants. Hurry up and get ready. Lena and I will be there to pick you up in an hour. Your niece, Lena is so excited to see her Aunty Licia!" Nina chirps happily. "Ugh. It's your fault I'm moving slowly. I took your advice and had a bottle of wine last night," I growl at her. 

"Hold up. I did not say to have a bottle, Alicia! I said to have a glass! Dang girl you went hardcore, didn't you? Oh well. Hurry your butt up! See you in an hour," she exclaims before she hangs up on me.  "Damn, cheerful people," I mumble as I roll out of bed.

An hour later I am ready to go in the kitchen, guzzling a glass of orange juice when I hear a horn honk.  I lock my front door and walk to Nina's SUV.  "Hey girl!" she yells. "Please have mercy on me, Nina. I took pain meds, but they have yet to kick in," I explain.  "I'm sorry darlin'. I promise to be good." she giggles.

"Aunty Licia!" I hear my beautiful adopted niece, Lena exclaim from the back seat. "There's my gorgeous girl!" I say as I smile right back at her. "I missed you sweetheart! Are you excited for our girls' day?" I ask her.  "Yep! Mommy say I get a toy if I good." she tells me.  "Really? Well I guess you're going to get a toy since you are always an angel," I tell her seriously. She just giggles at me and bounces in her car seat.

"You're goin' to spoil my daughter if you keep that up," Nina turns to glare at me. "It's not my fault you make such beautiful children. I mean really, how do you expect me to resist that adorable face?!" I ask her seriously.  "Okay fine. You're right. Sam and I do make beautiful babies," Nina says while laughing.

After a full day of shopping and getting our nails done, we head back to my place so that I can get changed.  I dress in tight dark blue jeans, my purple Brantley Gilbert tank top that says "Bottoms Up"  and a pair of chucks. 

When I come down the steps Nina says, "Really girl? We need to buy you a pair of cowboy boots! You cannot live in the south and not have a pair of boots."  I reply, "Well I'm sorry, but I'm a Jersey girl at heart and you know I like being casual. Sneakers are comfortable for me. I'm not trying to be someone that I'm not. I need to get used to the country lifestyle for a little while before I start changing anything."

"You're right. I'm sorry darlin'. I'm just trying to help you fit in, but you're right. You should just be you and everyone will love you," Nina replies.  "Thank you. Alright I'm ready. Let's go have some fun!" I exclaim.

"Woohoo! Wait until you meet Jax's godfather. I think you two will really get along." Nina tells me with a smirk on her face. "And just what is that look for?" I ask questioningly. "What look?" Nina asks innocently. "Okay let's go!" Nina yells while picking up Lena and running out the door.

"Okaaay. That wasn't shady at all," I mumble to myself as I lock my front door.