Chapter 3

Written by @ExpressPost_Books

I wake up once more but am surprised to find that I am not laying down on my rickety couch but am strapped tightly to a steel frame. There's a woman dressed in a white skirt and jacket beside me. She turns around and when she notices I'm awake she presses a grey button on the wall. In rushes a doctor with a stern look on his face. The nurse released the strap covering my mouth that I had not previously noticed.

"Ah, Mr. Radoco, I'm Dr. Flimias, how are you feeling?"

"Am I dead?" The only question that came to my head seemed to confuse Dr. Flimias.

"No... How's the leg?"

I look down to my legs... Well my leg.

I scream, a loud, bone chilling, blood curdling scream. The nurse clamps her sweaty, gloveless hand down on my open mouth, yet I continue to scream.

"YOU... YOU... ATE MY LEG" I shout at the doctor, spit flying from my mouth and onto the nurses palm. I see the doctor lean toward the nurse's ear and attempt to whisper.

"He's still a little under the influence".

The nurse raises her eyebrows in a 'you think?' motion and then proceeds to reassure me that neither her or the doctor are a cannibal.

"Your leg has been amputated, you stepped on a mine and suffered severe burns and major blood loss, it's lucky you're alive really."

I stare at her, unblinking and dumbfounded, she sighs and simply replaces the strap over my mouth. I assume she's leaving when she stands up and walks from my bed to a sterile steel tray. I am proved wrong when she turns around, syringe in hand. I feel a slight pinch then a massive burning as she injects the clear, yellow liquid into my bloodstream.

Hello darkness, my old friend.