Chapter 2

Written by ReeAnn

"Come on sleepy head, wake up!" Claire's soft hands clench my left shoulder as my eyes slowly open. The cold breeze of my electrical fan blows my uncovered feet. The smell of Mum's bacon and eggs fills my nostrils, I step out of bed and slide my feet into my freshly cleaned slippers. As I walk towards the kitchen Athena stops me in my tracks.

"Good morning Lucas, did you know that the largest bomb ever detonated was called 'Tsar Bomba' or 'Soviet RDS-220', it was tested on the 30th of October 1961, and to this day it still is the largest explosion in history!"

"Very interesting Athena, but to be honest, I really don't care"

"Your loss!"

I walk to the table to see my father and Jacob discussing the Armed Forces latest war tactics. The termite infested floorboards shift under the pressure of my body.

"Ahh, Lucas would you like to join us?" my father asks in an inviting voice. I shake my head and scurry to the lounge, our lounge is not the typical lounge. A wooden frame makes it quite uncomfortable to sit on and the only cushioning in sight is two thin pillows. I sit down and look at the small, box T.V. that we all love so much, even though it is approximately 100 years old.

I lay my head down on the arm of the wooden lounge and doze back off to sleep.