Chapter One: The Edge of Silence

Trigger warning: This story has mature themes, suicidal thoughts and actions, and profanity. Readers' discretion is advised.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Ughhhh, another day of cleaning, picking up after them, cooking, and not hearing even a thank you," was the first thought that whispered through Lydia's mind as she woke up from a fitful sleep.

"No appreciation, No nothing. I want "Me" time GODDAMN IT!"

The last two words were a shriek that made Lydia jump from her sleep, roll over the bed, and fall to the floor.

"Ouch,"

She rubbed her hip and got up from the floor.

"So! It's going to be one of those days, huh? "

Lydia said as she sighed and closed her eyes, leaning her forehead on the side of the mattress, still hearing her aunt's thoughts whispering through the walls of her mind darting around and making her heartthrob in remembered pain inside her chest.

"She is still here!" The nasty thoughts continued.

"She was supposed to be gone to the system by now. I can't take care of her and my two kids" the clanging of utensils in the kitchen as her aunt was making breakfast thumped inside her heart.

"I hate my brother for dying and leaving her behind; why didn't they take her with them when they went on that road trip!" Lydia could hear her heartbreaking _ Crack Crack_.

Lydia smiled with down-tilted lips and thought it was not the first time her heart had broken. She was used to it, but the pain! Oh, the pain was always there, waiting to invade her soul the moment those thoughts whispered into her mind.

"I wish she were dead! " the banging continued. "How come she is good at studying with her parents dead and no one to care for her! " the banging stopped as if her aunt was looking at the ceiling.

"She is a Monster. I hate how she looks at me like she can tell how I feel about her".

Her aunt Cidra finished cooking; walking to the staircase, she called her two precious boys and her husband to come down and eat, but she always forgot to call on her.

" Mark, TJ! Get your asses down here. Breakfast is ready," Her aunt screamed up the stairs.

Lydia got up from the floor as she felt movement at her door. Without turning, she knew that it was her aunt's husband, Vernon opening her door and trying to get a peek at her. He always did that; at first, she thought he was checking on her as he did with his two boys. However, Vernon entered the room once, closed the door, sat on her bed too close for comfort, and tried to touch her. Since then, Lydia has been scared of him, especially of the way he looked at her like a creep.

"Are you up yet, doll?" He pretended to smile, giving her a perusal from the top of her long dark hair to her round blue eyes to the oversized t-shirt she slept in .. _her father's t-shirt_ to her bare thighs and legs beneath it.

"She looks sexy!" his thoughts whispered, slithering like a snake into her mind.

"Look at those bare legs! I can see them wrapped around my ....". Shivering in disgust, Lydia tuned him out. Tagging her t-shirt down over her bare thighs, she straightened and gave a fake smile.

"Yes, uncle Vernon, I will be down in a minute" Lydia stood there looking at him until he stopped staring at her bare legs, left, and closed the door. "I need to remember to lock my door at night," she reminded herself.