Chapter Forty-One

"What should I wear?" I asked Loki.

"What do you do want to wear?" he responded.

"That's not helpful. What do you think I should wear?"

"You look fantastic in anything."

"Damn it, Loki. You are no help."

"It doesn't matter what you wear," he said as he snuck up behind me. He did what he always did. He wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on mine.

"But I don't know. There's a bunch of cute options. Damn Natasha for having style." He chuckled. "What do you want me to wear?"

"I don't think you want the answer to that question."

"Oh really?" I asked with a smile. "Ugh, maybe I'll just wear pajamas all day. What are you going to wear?"

"I don't know. I usually just grab something comfortable. I don't understand Midgardian fashion, but I most certainly don't hate it."

"You know what? I give up. Hoodie it is." I grabbed one of the hoodies they had given me. It had a small Avengers logo on the chest but I thought it looked cool. Besides, a hoodie is a hoodie.

I got dressed in a simple outfit. Jeans, a hoodie, and a pair of Converses. I turned to see Loki in a similar outfit.

"Is that what we're doing? We're matching today?" I asked.

"Why not? I just prefer the darker one." He had put on the same hoodie but black instead of grey. I liked it better that way. We were matching but not entirely. "You know what you should wear?"

"Oh, now you have an answer? It's a bit late."

"I think you should wear that necklace I gave you a while back. I remember you wore it when we visited Earth so I actually got to see you wear it. I thought it looked rather nice." I froze. I had completely forgotten about the necklace. I hadn't even notice that I lost it. The thing is, I don't know where. It was probably lost somewhere on Sakaar.

"Shit."

"What's wrong?"

"I... I lost it. I'm sorry. Damn it." I loved that necklace. Obviously not enough to keep track of it. "Crap."

"Lilith, it's alright. It wasn't that important."

"I thought it was. I loved that thing." I leaned my head against the wall. "I'm a fucking idiot."

"No, you aren't. Darling, it's just a necklace."

"No, it's not. I... I held on to that when I thought you were gone. It made me feel like you were with me."

All of a sudden, a cold chain was dropped around my neck. I looked down and saw a familiar green stone hanging off my neck.

"Oh, you bastard," I said as I turned to face him. "How long have you had that?"

"Let me think." He looked up to the ceiling for a moment. "Ever since we were on Sakaar. Valkyrie had it in her hands and said some scrappers tried to take it. She fancied it herself, but when I asked for it, the Grandmaster made her give it back to me."

"Wow. Way to be a dick about it."

"I wore it myself for a little while. I just kept it tucked into my shirt. I'm honestly glad I did, though."

"Why is that?"

"Because," he said, stepping closer. He took my hands in his and leaned his forehead on mine. "When I was Thanos's puppet, he thought nothing of it. But I knew. It was there everyday, reminding me that I had a reason to fight him. A reason to not give in. I had you."

"Do you ever say anything that doesn't sound like it came straight out of a romance novel?" I asked as I pulled my hands away and put them around his neck.

"I don't think you would like me as much if I didn't."

"You're right. I wouldn't. I just wish I could say stuff like that." He chuckled. His smile was so beautiful, I would give anything to see it all the time. "Loki?"

"Yes, darling?"

"What happens when I... when I get old? I-I'm just a human. You're not. What happens then?"

"I will stay by your side as long as I live. Not a day will go by where I don't love you. If such a day comes where I don't have you by my side, I'm not sure I'd be able to keep going on."

"Don't talk like that. What about Thor? You can't do that to him. Besides, you could move on. You could find someone else. But you better wait until I am gone. If you don't I swear I'll kick your ass."

"I don't think I could ever move on. No one in any realm could possibly replace you. No one else completes me like you do. I... I don't want to imagine what life would be like without you. I don't ever want that to happen. I couldn't go on." I noticed his eyes had begun to water.

"Loki, I'm sorry. I was just thinking. We don't have to worry about that right now. What matters right now is that I'm here, and I'm with you. And soon enough we'll be married."

"Yes, but—"

"And what if we do have a kid? I have no doubt that they'll have your immortality. That's a reason to go on right there. For them." Loki began to laugh quietly. "What? What's so funny?"

"I believe we are both what you would call a dumbass."

"Why is that?" I was confused. What was he talking about?

"Because," he said. "You're still a Valkyrie. Valkyries can be granted immortality if they wish. As long as the current ruler of Asgard approves it, a Valkyrie can choose to become immortal."

"Holy crap, you're right. I remember Alma mentioning that." I began to laugh, too. "Man, now I feel stupid."

"As do I."

"So, does that mean I just have to ask Thor?" I became more serious, so did Loki.

"Yes, and he had better approve or else I'll, I believe you'd say, kick his ass."

"Good." I pulled him closer and our lips came together. "Let's go."

"Right now?"

"Not exactly. I was thinking we could ask him if he'd approve but officialize it at the wedding."

"That would be excellent."

"Great. Now all we have to do is find Thor."

"Then we had better get going."