-Chapter 12-

Maker; 8,274 reads and 674 votes
(Published 1-11-19)

An; Hope you like this chapter. It's short but anything but sweet. It was hard to write this chapter *inhales air* SO PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK!!!! It takes hours for me to write these chapters, and all I ask is you take 5 mins to write something back to me(: I love hearing my readers' voices, which I don't get nearly enough of on this book. You wattpadians are damn helpful with your critiques, not to mention hilarious😂
————————————————————

Summer 1970

The sea was the only thing in my ears now. It's voice called to me to hurry back to the safety of its waves. Then Elizabeth spoke, and I was reminded that I might never swim in my beloved ocean again.

I sang the sound of distress softly under my breath. Human ears couldn't hear my song, but merepeople could. But I had little hope of it reaching any ears in the seas unless one of my sisters were close by. More people that weren't of royal blood rarely came anywhere near the shore.

"What were you planning to do with those boys?" she asked and my attention was back on her.

"I was just trying to make friends. But whatever it is dat you want to try and do with that knife, the boys are still close enough to hear my cries for help. I'm not sure what you heard or if your mind is unwell, but this all was a misunderstanding, I am no mermaid," I said and let my power saturate my voice since I could not use my eyes.

"Nice try mermaid. But I don't believe your lies."

It was then that I caught sight of the thing dangling from her neck. It glimmered red and blue even though there was no light reflected off of it. All thoughts of escaping died.

She had on a mermaid scale, what a vile thing, no wonder I had felt so much dread from her presence. It also explained how she could stare so deeply into my eyes and not be put under my spell and yet kiss me like she had...It also meant something else.

"Hunter," I hissed and felt the knife drawl blood when she further pressed the knife into my flesh.

"Release the souls now!" she commanded. She cast her eyes to the knife she held at my throat so that she no longer held my gaze.

"Did you think that no one would notice that so many young boys had ended up dead, some by there own hands, or missing along these parts? They may label them draft dodgers, but WE knew. We knew a royal must be taking advantage of her hunting licenses given by good old daddy."

I thought back to Delphine's words, her warnings that I wasn't careful. That I shouldn't be using our language with humans close. That I was taking too many souls too fast. How had she been so right about everything?

Despite this thought and the growing sense of dread at the possibility of my soon-to-be demise, I smiled at her, my mouth now full of razor-sharp fangs, that I usually kept hidden behind the row of my perfect human-like teeth. This action made her jump much to my surprise and delight. Judging by her reaction, even though she knew what I was, she may not have ever been this close to a mermaid. There was something we shared in common. We had never been this close to the other's kind before. This was my first time even seeing a hunter.

"Those souls are mine," I hissed, and a look of pure fury crossed her face, which gave me a small satisfaction, "Kill me, and I'll drag them down to the darkest pit of a watery hell. And what are you going to do with me on this beach? The boys are still within earshot, and if I scream, they will come running and stop you."

"Go ahead and scream! Do you think those wusses back there would leave the safety of their fire to see what was wrong!? You're insane if you believe that. They will go running for help, and by the time they returned with it, it will be too late for you. Watch, I'll prove it to you!?"