chapter 17

Thorn narrowed his blue eyes in thought. He shook his soaked fur, shaking his head in despair, as he took in the scene if his ruined home. The flood had swept through in the night. It had killed Birch, their second to oldest elder. Roach, Turtle and stripes (the other elders) had escaped, but the camp was destroyed. The entrance to... Thorn shook his head. It wasn't an entrance anymore. But the gaping hole where the elders used to make their home was torn open, roof tattered and exposed to the sky, remains scattered across the clearing. His own Leader's den had stayed intact, his main worries were of his gang. "I wish Thunder were here..." He murmured to himself. He missed the compassionate tom more with every beat of his broken heart.

Star had moved to the nursery, pregnant with Acorn's kits. Her second litter of kits.

Now she had nowhere to stay. Their nests were tattered and full of stones and their branch den had floated- who knows where!

Thorn struggled for breath, as he watched his once powerful gang, starving and scattered.

Thorn sighed, slumping his shoulders.

What was left for them now?he closed his eyes, heart full of pain.

Then, Star's well rang out above the destruction.

"My kit! Oh my kit! Where is my precious son?"

A stone of dread dropped in his belly. No!

He wailed silently. No, not Branch!

He shook his head, head clouded with sadness.

He lifted his head to the sky. Not knowing who he was talking to, he whispered. "P-please." He begged, "p-please, help m-my gang." He let his head droop. Letting out a wimper he closed his eyes again, falling Ito a tight, painfull, dreamless sleep.

Thorn woke up with a gasp. Silver was nudging him. "Huh...wh-what?" He grunted.

Flash looked at him apologetically, amber eyes serious and white and ginger patched fur bristling. Silver nodded and walked away.

Thorn instantly got to his paws, alert. "Wh-what is it?" He felt hollow with dread.

Flash took a deep breath."s-sorry Thorn er sir, twilightgang wishes to s-speak to yu-you." He stammered.

Thorn dipped his head. "Th-thank you f-flash."

He was faintly amused by Flashes anxiety. That was how he always was, even though Flash had a young spirit, Flash was older then Thunder and Silver!

Teeming With fear,Thorn padded down to join them. Expecting to see Terror's threatening form bristling over him.

Thorn was surprised, when he was met by Clawface, Ginger and her kits and a few others he didn't know, we'll he fought them, but didn't know their names.

Thorn eyed Clawface suspiciously as he meowed coolly.

"What brings you here Clawface?" He growled the last words. "What does Terror want this time?" Thorn glared, neck fur lifting.

Clawface flicked his tail and the other cats came forward.

Thorn looked on, surprised. Wasn't that a leader's sign?

Clawface dipped his head.

"I know longer answer to Terror." He replied.

Thorn listened, puzzled.

Clawface continued.

" this is the dawn of freedom for my cats, and I am Storm, leader of Dawngang!" He declared, tail waving importantly.