x → denying feelings

Peter and (R/2) were walking towards the castle beside their horses, instead holding the reigns. Susan, Caspian, and Lucy had ventured further as (R/2) had asked if they could give her and Peter some time alone, which she's grateful for. She had hoped Peter would start a conversation with her by now, but he just walks silently. Why does she keep hoping for things she already knows will never happen?

"Peter, can I ask you something?" (R/2) calls to him.

Peter stops walking and turns to face her.

"Why did you tell (R/1) that we were engaged?" She asks.

"What?" He asks.

"You heard me."

"Why? I told her the truth, (R/2). That's why. It's the truth. You know it, I know it, (R/1) knows it."

Peter turns back around and walks forward. (R/2) walks a little faster, as much as she can as she holds her horse's reigns and steps beside him.

"Peter, what is it?" She asks.

"Nothing." Peter shakes his head, "I don't feel like walking, is all. And I don't feel like talking."

She knows that he's implying that he has to walk since the two of them are alone. They were all riding their horses when they were with the others, but when they branched off he and (R/2) walked instead. But (R/2) is tired of Peter walking away from her. She's tired of feeling unloved by her boyfriend.

"Just answer me this one question and I won't say anything else." She says.

Peter sighs and then stops again, making (R/2) have to walk that extra bit to stand beside him to look at him.

"I promise." She says.

Peter nods and pats down his horse's neck.

"If there was someone you loved more than me, would you tell me?" She asks.

"What kind of a question is that?" Peter asks, turning to look at her, "Yes, I would tell you."

He sighs and shakes his head, not understanding why (R/2) would be asking him this. She seems to be asking him a lot of questions recently, and recently they have been very annoying to him.

"Satisfied?" Peter asks, "Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"I want to hear the truth." (R/2) says.

Peter shakes his head again, scoffing, and starts to walk forward. (R/2) runs ahead of him and stops him from walking any further, knowing that her horse won't run off now that she's not holding the reigns.

"Well is there, Peter?" She asks, "Someone you love more than me? Apart from your brother."

"No!" Peter says, "No there isn't, (R/2). Because I wouldn't do it to Edmund. I wouldn't do that to him. I wouldn't hurt him like that."

And with his response, (R/2) had gotten all the answers she's been looking for.

"You forgot about me, Peter." She says.

Peter opens his mouth to say something, but he doesn't know what he can say anymore. He's just said the words that have broken his girlfriend's heart. And even though he could always feel it coming-- something he would say that would really do damage-- he never thought he'd actually hurt her like this.

"You forgot about me." (R/2) says again, her eyes tearing up.

"(R/2), I didn't mean it like that." Peter lies.

He knows it's a lie, but he wants to make her feel better. But what is there that he can say that will make her feel better? Nothing, Peter reminds himself. There is nothing that he can say.