Chapter 3: Why, Hello Reality

Was it just me or did I just have a weird ass dream about my life being destroyed last night?

I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts as I heard my phone violently buzz. I took my phone from the bedside table and quickly went to check notifications.

WHATSAPP
Malea 💓
Hey, how was your flight??

My eyes widened in surprise. What the heck? I had completely forgotten about her. She was my best friend after I had moved to the States for my studies. She would kill my parents if she knew what they had done.

Wait.

What if everything was just a 'Welcome Back Home' prank? That's what it was. Yep. Totally.

I'm not in denial... right?

I hurriedly woke up, got ready and ran down to the dining room. It was my parent's usual time to get breakfast so I could talk to them.

Silly people. How did they think I'm gonna fall for that prank? As if I'm that dumb... pfft

I burst into the living room, trying to look and exude confidence and be badass. Then, I closed my eyes and pushed the door open with such grandeur that the Queen could only hope to achieve.

"Greeting ladies and gentlemen, it is I, Emeraude and I wish to let you all know that I know what you have been planning against me!"

I opened my eyes after my awesome speech to see my fiancé's parents sitting on the couch, looking at me like I was weird.

What the heck?

Why do I keep embarrassing myself? This is the SECOND time this has happened. I can't even deal with my idiocy. I'm so done.

Then, I did what any calm person in such a situation would have done. I ran. Ok, not really. I slowly disregarded their presence and pretended that I was part of the wall. I slowly slid against the wall and pushed open the late doors and ran to my room.

What a morning!

Wait, could it be? That my dream actually had happened?? No, Emeraude, it's just a prank. Nothing's really happening. It's just your imagination.

I flopped onto my bed again and started considering my life choices. They were proving to be severely poor. How did all of this even start?

"Emer, can I come in?"

My eyebrows scrunched up at the unfamiliar voice calling out to me. It did not sound like my brother or members of the staff working for us.

"Who art thou?"

I replied in a meek voice. The door was suddenly pushed open and I saw... my brother standing there. Surprised, I fell to the floor from my bed.

"Why does your voice not sound the same? Are you sick?"

He nodded his head to say yes and started laughing at me being on the floor.