1

Time was rushing. The clock was ticking. Matt, a short tenth grader with brown hair, was struggling to complete his science test. The boring atmosphere of the classroom made him concentrate more. “Arrrggg..” groaned Matt. Sweat was dripping on his paper. If I studied so hard, then why am I struggling? Matt asked himself. Heart thumping, he quickly finished the last question of the quiz. Drrrrrrrrrng! The bell for the end of the period rang. “Okay, it’s time to turn in your test,” the teacher, Mr. Ramsay blurted out.

    After turning in the test, Matt, and his two friends, Red and Justin, who was in the advanced class next door, dashed out the classroom door. “Hey! You kids come back here and walk again, or else I will give you detention!” yelled Ramsay. It was surprising to even see him showing emotion, because Matt thought his lectures are usually dehumanizing experiences equivalent to watching paint dry.

It was too late. The kids were already far down the hall. They heard what Mr. Ramsay said because he yelled so loud. They somehow managed to get passed all the traffic.

    They got to the lunchroom. The boys stood in the line with their lunch money to get pizza. Red got two slices. “Blecch, why did I get two! This tastes like cardboard!” he grunted.  

“Don’t you just love it when teachers threaten to send you to detention just to sound intimidating?” asked Matt. He put his hands hands behind his heads as if they were antlers and imitated in a goofy voice, “Hurrrr durrr, I’m going to send you off to detention!”

    Red laughed, but Justin didn’t. “You’re trying too hard,” he insulted, “And by the way, I’m pretty sure I got a hundred percent for the test, because I have straight A pluses for each subject.”