Twelve

Steves shield broke the glass- giving us a way to jump out. I followed his fall- breaking through the lobby roof below. I connected my powers to him- slowing us down enough to land on our feet. We sprinted through the lobby- ignoring screams and terrified looks from the people around us. We ran out of the lobby- eventually making it to his motorcycle.

We had no time to lose- Steve pressed the petal, launching us forward and briskly making it to the bridge. "That doesn't look good." I shouted- watching a quinjet float over the bridge; its gun was ready to fire. "Stand down, both of you. Stand down." The voice rang through the speakers of the jet.

Steve drove faster- the quinjet starting to shoot at us. I flew my hands up- making sure every bullet avoided us. Steve threw his shield- crippling one of the fans. He slammed the brakes- causing both of us to fly toward the jet. I landed both of us safely- ripping his shield out of the fan. I ran over to the left fan- slowing it down enough to brake it completely; all while Steve was ridding of the engines. The jet started exploding- I quickly launched myself off of the jet and onto the ground- right where Steve landed.

I slowly raised my hand- watching the jet slowly slide off of the bridge. He grabbed it- pulling it down. "They can't do anything now. Theres no need." He spoke- grabbing my hand and pulling me with him. I nodded- running beside him. Steve adjusted the motorcycle- turning it on. I jumped onto the back, holding onto the sides. He revved the engine right before taking off.

We sped down empty streets- I knew he was trying to avoid any heavily populated areas. We were now fugitives- wether we liked it or not. SHIELD was not to be trusted- and we knew that all too well.

-

I looked down- keeping my face away from where anyone could see. The hospital was littered with people- any one of them could recognize us. Steve kept his hood up, walking carefully next to me. We both were silent- not truly being able to speak to each other. He walked up to the vending machine- his face fell. I furrowed my eyebrows- wondering why.

"Steve?" I questioned, watching his facial expressions. "The USB- it's gone." His words made me widen my eyes- gasping a little.

"You put it in a damn vending machine? Steve, are you insane?" Right before he could respond, Natasha crept up behind us, popping her bubble gum. Steve grabbed both of our arms- pulling us into the empty room behind us. He let me go, cornering Natasha.

"Where is it?" He asked- looking her in the eyes. "Safe." She spoke- clearly shocked at his actions. "Do better." I spoke through my teeth- receiving a smug look from the spy. "Where did you get it?" She asked me- brushing Steve off.

"Why would she tell you?" He asked- aggressively. "Why would she tell you?" She asked- getting in Steves face. I looked down- not being able to find words to say. "Fury gave it to you, why?" She grabbed my arm, causing me to rip it away from her. "Whats on it?" I asked her- receiving a quick respond.

"I don't know." She spoke- I squinted my eyes, not believing a word. "Stop lying." Steve chimed in. "I only act like I know everything, Rogers." She admitted, looking at Steve.

"You knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" I asked- walking over to the door and shutting it slightly. "Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." She spoke- receiving a push against the wall.

"Im not gonna ask you again." Steve replied- getting angrier every time she spoke. "I know who killed fury." She paused- right before speaking again. "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years." I sighed, turning around.

My ears went deaf, slowly Tatiana's voice came creeping into my mind again. 'Winter is coming.' My eyes fluttered open after I realized they were shut, slowly coming back to reality.

"So he's a ghost story." Steve concluded.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out- but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me." I flinched as she lifted her shirt- showing her scarred wound. "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis." Steve furrowed his brows- replying.

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." I stifled a laugh, it seemed so did she. "Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried." She admitted, holding the USB up. "Like you said, he's a ghost story." She spoke- Steve taking the USB from her grasp. "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants." I chimed in- plastering a smug smile onto my face.

"So, you have a slight history with him?" I asked Natasha, as we walked out of the room and into the hallway. "I guess you could say that." She laughed a little- walking beside me. Steve watched us as we exchanged words.

"He was ruthless." I spoke- trying my best to keep my voice down. She furrowed her eyebrows- listening to me. "But I can't explain it- I was ready to stop him when I needed to. But I saw things- felt memories. It wasn't my fault. I didn't exactly know I could invade someones mind that way." She was stunned- she knew I was with Fury, but she didn't know about this.

"You approached him? How are you still alive?" She asked, laughing nervously. I shook my head, not even knowing myself. "I couldn't do it." I admitted, walking out of the hospital with the two.

"Couldn't do what?" Steve asked- opening Nats passenger door- helping me in the back. I sat in the back, right before Natasha spoke. "Once you feel for someone, it's hard to want to kill them." She spoke, sitting in the drivers seat, knowing exactly what was on my mind. I nodded my head, looking down at my feet.

"She knows something we don't." Natasha spoke to Steve, smirking. "Care to share? You seemed pretty determined when we tried hunting him down." Steve asked, making me sit back. I sighed, leaning into the seat.

"He doesn't know who he is." I spoke, not truly understanding my own words. "Listen, guys. I don't know. I don't understand half the things my mind tries to tell me. All I know is to trust it." I admitted, watching the trees go by the window. "Thats fair. We'll get your lover boy soon enough." Nat spoke with wit, receiving an eye roll from me.

=

omg 200+ reads?

thank u skinnies😎