114. Revelation

Henry went to bed early that night, but he couldn't sleep. After an hour of tossing and turning, he wound up on his back, staring up at the ceiling and thinking of Sarah. He missed the feeling of her soft, warm body next to him in bed. He missed the way she mumbled in her sleep. The pillow next to him still smelled of her perfume, and he couldn't stand it. He loved that he still had something of hers with him, and yet it made his heart ache so badly.

Henry got out of bed and turned on a lamp. He began to walk around the room, picking up Sarah's belongings and putting them back down. He looked at a shawl that she had left on her nightstand. He picked up her hairbrush from the dresser.

What was he going to do with her possessions? Was he supposed to just throw them away? And what about his memories of her? He couldn't just discard them.

Henry found himself opening up the drawers on her side of the bureau. He sifted through her clothes and jewelry. His body was becoming increasingly numb with each article he touched. That was, until he found two slips of paper in the bottom drawer. It appeared that Sarah had hidden these away. She had placed them into an envelope.

Two tickets to the Championship game!

Henry smiled and his eyes were, once more, moist with tears. Sarah had talked about wanting to take her uncle to the game.

That second ticket was meant for Albert.

There was something about this that filled Henry with a new sense of hope.

The lamp on his nightstand flickered, and he could feel his heart starting to flicker back to life.

Maybe Albert was right after all. Sarah would have wanted Henry to continue playing baseball. She had treasured watching him play the game that he loved so much.

Henry climbed back into bed, feeling much more at ease. A peacefulness tugged his eyelids shut, and he fell asleep.

Author's Note

Henry has just experienced a profound revelation. These tickets, a memory from Sarah, will spark Henry to fulfill his purpose in this story.

I wanted this revelation to come as a quick jolt to Henry.

Why?

Well, I've always been inspired by J.K. Rowling's story of how Harry Potter was born. During that fateful train ride from Manchester to London King's Cross, the boy wizard flashed into Rowling's thoughts, and she literally felt a jolt of energy, as the ideas started flooding into her head. This was the revelation that started Harry Potter history.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Until next time, take care!

Thanks,
Tom