Chapter Two - The Truth of the Mark of Death

Bethany's POV

That night was the worst night to have it.

I had a dream about Austin losing his foot. "Come on!" I remember myself yelling to my still-alive brother. "We're almost there!" Too late. The fog consumed his foot.

Something strange happened after this...something that didn't happen in real life. It was like a warning, like Alice said. Austin is on the ground crying over his lost foot. There is no blood. Just a terrible burn and wound. As the memory plays back, I realize that it actually did happen at some point. I remembered this next part, but I guess my mind wouldn't recall it until now.

"The Hazard," Austin said. "It got me! Bethany, help!" at the time I didn't know how to help except putting cold water on the burn.

I ran back from the house, opening the water bottle as I ran back to Austin. "Here," I said. "I hope this works..." I began to pour the water--slowly--over Austin's burn. When he started looking fearful I spread the water some more.

"Austin?" I said. "Yes?" he managed to croak. "What's the Hazard?"

"You'll find out on your own time, later."

He was right. I knew what the Hazard was now.

I opened my eyes. I could control that now; waking up whenever I wanted to.

I rushed to Austin's room to tell him, but then remembered... I stepped away from the door and walked back to my room. A small seven year old girl was still asleep on my bedroom floor. "Alice," I whispered. She stirred, then, for a second stopped. She woke up. "Huh? Oh, hi Bethany!"

"Alice, I figured out something important."

Alice was still laying in her sleeping bag. She looked really comfy. "What did you find out?" She looked at me. "The Hazard! Come on, I want to show you something!" I said. I was thinking of showing her how Austin died. It was the smoke that had burned through his chest. I knew that for sure now. "Come on." I repeated. I tried pulling Alice up but she wouldn't let her. "Why aren't you standing up?" I asked her. I tugged her arm again. "My legs are sore, Bethany." She looks like she was lying, but that doesn't mean she was. "Alice, what's wrong?" I knew she had to be hiding something, but I didn't know what. "Alice if you're legs are sore, then I'll drag you." We both laughed. "Okay, okay, I'll walk." She yawned. "I know I'm tired too." I said as we walked down the stairs.

When we got back, I told Mom and Dad. "You know the Mark of Death?" I asked them. They both nodded. "You guys need to know something about it!" I still didn't know where my parents have been all this time. "Anyway, it's actually called The Hazard. I had this weird dream la--"

"Honey," I she cut me off.

"What, Mom?" I looked at her.

"The Mark of Death isn't called the Hazard. The Hazard is something completely different."

"But Mom, I had a dream last night! Austin lost his foot in The Hazard! He said that the Hazard got him!" What was my mom even talking about? She was clearly wrong.

"It's just a dream. That's why imagination was created in the first place. It's used in dreams, art, and it's very valuable. You used it in your dream."

I was starting to get annoyed.

"No I didn't, Mom! This actually happened!" She looked at me with her believe-me-I'm-your-mother look.

"Do you remember any of that actually happening?"

"Well, no but--"

"Exactly. Now, sooner or later, our going to figure out what the Hazard really is. You're going to be much better off when you know.

"Then why can't you tell me now?" I said. If they wanted me safe they should be giving me this important piece information. Alice had a look on her face that said I don't "like it at all". It was September 4th. The day I officially couldn't say, "I had that dream last night and every single part of it was true." I had to believe my parents.

"Don't you remember when that strange man ran up to Austin in Austin's dream?" My Dad said. This was strange. Who told him about Austin's dream? "Y-yes. I do remember. How do you know about that? Nobody ever told you about his dream."

I wanted the answer out of them now, but it was clear they weren't going to give it to me.

***

The next day was Alice's birthday...