Chapter Five - The Clock

Bethany's POV
I woke up, Alice beside me. The clock read 4pm. Hm...that's weird. Usually, I would wake up around 6:00 to 7:00 in the morning so I can get a head start on the day. Not this. Surely there's been some mishap with the clock. Alice is still asleep, so I try to address my parents, though I doubt they'll have any idea. The I clock also said 4:00pm. I shrug and walk back into my room. In exhausted. Last night was restless because I couldn't stop thinking about Alice. Alice, Alice, Alice. Where it used to be Austin it was now Alice. I never thought I would get my mind off my brother. But last night I did. I crawl into my sleeping bag. If I sleep all day, I think. I'll be spending the night out. I brush off this annoying yet urging thought and close my eyes.

• • •

I think about maybe waking up Alice but she looks so content and comfortable in her little bag that I would feel terrible if I were to wake her. I've slept for at least an hour, my mind tells me that. But the clock sill reads 5pm. The clock must have been disconnected to the power is all, I tell myself. And then a question strikes me. What time is it really? My mind is whooshing with thoughts about Austin and Alice and the clock that I'm exhausted. Since when have I gotten so out of shape? I think as I close my eyes again.
I wake up in a cold sweat. I'm burning up. I'm probably sick, because I also feel weak. The clock reads 2am. I've been sleeping for ten hours. In no longer tired. I hear the bashes of thunder and see the lightning strikes through the window. I turn around on the floor and see that Alice is gone. Is she with my parents? Why does she trust them more then my. I turn into my back again. I looked up at the ceiling as the thunder books in he background. My floorboards are creaking. They have been, but I haven't realized it. I sit up and look around. Nothing. Probably the wind. But then I hear a voice. "Get me out of here, please." The voice says. "Please, don't hurt me." I'm now up and about, looking around my room for he source of the sound. For the source of the voices.
In the corner, I see a figure rocking back an forth. It keeps mumbling things about hating storms. It keeps mumbling I know words. Or should I say say "she".
Because the figure in the corner is Alice.