Chapter Three - A Birthday For Alice

Bethany's POV

The next day is Alice's birthday.

"So Alice! You're turning 9?" My Mom asks Alice. Alice is using my old coloring books. She is in the middle of coloring a dragon red when she answers. "No Mrs. Chase. I'm turning 8. I can't wait for 5:03!"

My Mom gives me a puzzled look.

"Glad you asked. Alice is turning 8 at exactly 5:03 tonight!"

I said. I sometimes think I runes sarcastic overnight. I remember when I was 8. My Dad always said I was the most sarcastic child he's ever met. Youngest sarcastic child, to be exact. A couple years later, it's faded away. Now it's like I'm back to the normal me again, like I've gone back to the good times. It might be the excitement if a young birthday or the fact that my parents are back.

"That's wonderful!" My Mom said.

"Thank you." Alice said. She had gone back to coloring her dragon.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Alice...! Happy birthday to you!" We all chorused. Alice blew out he candles and we all clapped.

***

Alice told me that she wished to be safe during he next MOD. That's what we've decided to call the Mark of Death. That's what we gave to Alice as a birthday present. It was her idea.

Well let's just say her plan didn't turn out how she wanted it too. I felt really bad because there was nothing we could do. Yesterday-- her birthday--the mod came. And Alice lost both of her legs. Her entire legs. It all happened so fast and there was fire and blood. I felt terrible for her.

•••

It took a long time for Alice's wounds to heal. She now has prosthetics legs, thanks to the old hospital many blocks down. It was incredibly hard to help put them on her, since we weren't doctors.

"I guess we just strap them on?" I asked. Mom shrugged her shoulders. "That's good enough for now." Dad said. So I guess now we were strapping them on.

When we were done, they didn't look right at all, minus the fact that they weren't made to look like real legs, they were made just to be helpful. They just didn't look right. "We're doing this wrong." I said, matter of factly. "It will do for now," Mom said. And with that, we carried Alice back to the house.