Chapter 19// Youngblood

Ashton's P.O.V

2018 couldn't have came any slower after Mena's death. The boys and I planned her funeral for today March 16.

I tightened my tie gently and looked myself over in the mirror. 7 months in an empty an empty home had me so fucked up. I stopped eating for a while after Luke moved out since I convinced him I was fine on my own.

But this whole year and a little bit of last year we worked on our new album, 'Youngblood'. Featuring some songs Mena wrote like, Empty Wallets and Meet You There.

The boys and I put so much hard work into that album for her and our fans it was insane.

At the funeral I saw Luke and Calum standing at the end of a hallway talking.

"Ashton!" Calum waved and I gave him a weak smile as I walked over to them. "How have you been?"

I shrugged and fixed my hair. "Uh, I'm alright."

"It's been a month man. Ever since we finished the album you haven't texted any of us. What's going on?" Luke ran a hand through long curly hair.

How could they be so carefree and happy when we all lost a huge part of our love. Did they just completely ignore the fact that shes gone forever?

"C'mon let's go!" Michael yelled from the end of the hallway.

We all walked into the room where Michael's family, Calum's parents, Luke's parents and brothers, and my mom and siblings all sat.

All 3 boys did their eulogies before me, all of them ending in sobs. Until it was my turn...

I stepped up on the podium staring down at the page full of sloppy writing I had written for this day, for Mena.

I looked over at Mena's casket holding her lifeless, pale, cold, body. Then all I could hear was her giggly voice through out my mind.

"You can do it Ash...I love you, drummer boy."

A tear rolled down my cheek as i began to present my eulogy.

"Mena was the only person I shared everything with without having to know her for years. She was so easy to talk to and I'm sure everyone knows how much of an amazing person she was. She could make anyone laugh no matter what. Even from what she has lived through as a teenager she managed to carry on. Mena was my everything. I loved everything about her and I will continue to love her." I sniffled and looked up. "I miss her so so much, but I'm just glad I have these four boys to help me through it."

==============Ashton's P.O.V============

All the time Mena would be brought up in interviews. We used to just pass the questions but now the boys would answer them...but I'd just stay silent, clenching my jaw to keep from crying.

"Is Mena the inspiration for Ghost of You?" One interviewer asked.

Michael took in a deep breath and nodded, the pain flashing evidently in his eyes.
"Uh, yes. Mena is inspiration for a few of our songs...I'd say most. Some she even wrote."

We all nodded not adding anything more so that the topic would be passed on and we could move forward through the interview.

She was our inspiration for a lot and she'll always be. No one in the band or our family would be able to forget the girl who changed a lot of lives forever, Mena Clifford.