Prologue

"Long before the birth of light there was darkness, and from that darkness, came the Dark Elves. Millennia ago, the most ruthless of their kind, Malekith sought to transform our universe back into one of eternal night."

"Such evil was possible through the power of the Aether, an ancient form of infinite destruction."

"The noble armies of Asgard, led by King Bor, waged a mighty war against these creatures."

"As the Nine World's converged above him, Malekith could at last unleash the Aether. . ."

"But Asgard ripped the weapon from his grasp. Without it, the Dark Elves fell. With the battle all but lost, Malekith sacrificed his own people in a desperate attempt to lay waste to Asgard's army."

"Malekith was vanquished, and the Aether was no more. Or so we were led to believe."

"Okay, time for bed," Mr. Foster declared as he slammed the book shut. Ten year old Liv jumped up from her spot on her bed and looked at her father with wide eyes. "Wait, what? That can't be the end! What happened to the Aether?" Liv asked as she jumped on her bed.

"Olivia," he said as he pointed towards her sister Jane who was currently sound asleep in the bed next to her. Liv looked over at her sister and frowned, instantly stopping her jumping. "Sorry," she muttered.

Her father looked over at her in amusement as he set the book down on her nightstand. "Lie down, Liv," he told her and the reluctant girl did as he said. Once she was back under her covers, Mr. Foster tucked her in. She continued to stare at him with wide and curious eyes and he gave her a small smile.

"No one knows exactly what happened to the Aether, Olivia. It was kept a secret for a reason. Most believe it to have actually been destroyed, but the thing about something as powerful as the Aether is that it's too hard to destroy," he told her.

He then looked around as if to make sure no one was listening before leaning in close. "But there are some who think the King buried it far beneath the ground in a place that no one will ever find it," he whispered with a small twinkle in his eyes.

He smiled at his little girl before kissing her forehead. He then got up and went to leave the room when Liv's voice rang out. "But what if someone finds it?" she asked. Mr. Foster turned to look at her.

"The Aether," Liv clarified. "What if someone finds the Aether?"

Mr. Foster stared at her in amusement for a moment before saying, "No one is going to find it, Liv." "But what if someone does?" Liv asked insistently. Mr. Foster stared at the girl for a moment longer before looking at the ground.

"Let's just hope no one ever does."

He looked back over at Liv and gave her a small smile. "Goodnight, Olivia. I love you," he said. Liv smiled and curled into her covers and pillow more. "I love you too," she whispered out with a yawn. Mr. Foster smiled at that before reaching out and turning off the lights. He looked back at his two daughters before turning back around and cracking the door.

It didn't take much for Liv to fall asleep after that, but even as she slept, she still dreamed about the Aether and the Asgardians fighting the Dark Elves.

Little did Liv or Mr. Foster know, but someone would find the Aether. And that someone was Olivia 'Liv' Foster.

- - -