Chapter 20: Seán

It's now sixth period, which means I must face Mari again. After what I have done to her, she must really hate me.

When I walk into the room, she is already here. She's staring blankly at the wall, so I clear my throat. Her attention snaps toward me. She scowls at me and goes back to staring off into space.

"Listen, Mari. I'm really sorry. I am," I tell her. She scoffs and turns toward me.

"Wow," she says. "You think that just a simple 'I'm sorry' will take back what you did?"

I shake my head. She stares at me for a while and looks back at the wall.

"Mari, she leaned in to kiss me. I didn't know what she was doing, and I froze. Can you please forgive me?"

"Jack, you've made me do some pretty weird things today! I kissed Tal Fishman because I was too busy crying over you! Now my friendship with him is ruined, all because of you!" She yells. Everyone in the room is staring at us and she looks around.

She shakes her head and stands up. "I've gotta go." She walks out the classroom, but not before she turns around and says, "No one follow me."

Everyone is staring at me as I sink into my seat. I'm the worst person on the face of the universe.

Why did Alia kiss me?