Chapter 1 - Act 1

Elijah

My name is Elijah. Yes. Just Elijah. My mother had no last name, so I had nothing to inherit from that certain area. It used to confuse a lot of my old acquaintances. How was a person born without a last name? How did I get applied for school and such things, without anything more to my name than a mere "Elijah". Id just shrug at them of course. What young kid would really even be able to understand the complexity of these sort of things. That, and a few other reasons, are why I didn't' have many friends, or even acquaintances, throughout my life.That will have to wait, as of right now i'ts hardly relevant to the matter at hand. In earth years, I'm 24. But...

I'm not on earth. I'm on Haven. And here everything is different. For starters, that ball of fire called the sun that the earth gravitates around. Well it doesn't exist here. Now I wouldn't say the world is draped in absolute darkness, but it's not too far off. Haven has three differently colored moons in the sky. A blue moon named Himdal. A dark red moon called Rubarus. And the brightest of them all, the green moon named Aurora. No one, to my knowledge at least, if these colored moons actually end up affecting our eyesight. It's kinda of hard to really be able to prove or disprove it. But i'm not opening that can of worms.

Gravity is also a lot heavier here, or for awhile it is. It personally only took me near 2 months of training to fully get over the difference. That's not even including the four months I spent as a near crazed man. Surviving on nothing but what was around me, being hunted by beasts from every nightmare, and then some you'll never even be able to conjure up in your wildest fears. It was horrifying. Never knowing when it was safe to move around and find water or food. It was a huge risk, half the time there was none to be found, or if I did find some I was too late and had no way to deal with the hostile predators surrounding my sustenance. I honestly don't know how I even held on to my sanity for as long as I did. When my current Master found me, I was almost no different than the wild beasts in the wood. Covered head to toe in leaves mud, feces, blood. I was a total wreck. Let's just leave it at that. It makes me look bad. Anyhow he found me, and showed me a way to do more than simply survive. He taught me to thrive. He's a great man... Person? Honestly I have no idea if it's male or female, human or sub species of the bipedal species existent here on Haven. All I know is a single name, much like my own name, there's no family name attached to my Master. They're name is Psylich. Or at least this persona of them is. I know they have their secrets, I don't pry. They never affect my own life. Or so I thought. Until today. Normally they'd keep me away from the sensitive political missions of theirs.

And yet here I stand in front of them, my jaw hanging open wide. "You want me to what?" I almost screamed. His request was out of no where, and honestly, quite ridiculous. Even worse, it was vague.

Psylich shook their head, the ever changing silver mask reflecting the light from the few multicolored mage stones scattered across the small cave. "It's as I said. I need you to find a way to create your very own House in Cunnivan, the 13th Lordom. I don't care how, as long as it's done.For someone of your talent, it should be easy." Psy paused for a brief moment and I swear they were smirking under that accursed mask. "I can see, even as you blow a fuse, that you're already going through dozens of scenarios and weighing the risks. You're not just strong from your abilities. You're powerful because of your mind. Use it. I know you'll figure it out."

I growled at him, fist clenched because he was right. I had been thinking about how I could succeed with this mission. The part I was truly angry about, is that there was no apparent objective aside from make a High House in the poor excuse of a governmental body known as Cunnivan's Gauntlet. If my master had At least deemed to tell me that, I could think even further ahead and plan better. Though they may be exactly why Psy has yet to tell me about it. I un-clenched my fists. "Why now? Why after so long, do you now bring me out in public. I can't wear my mask if i'm to be the ruler of a PUBLIC house. And if I keep an illusion on my eyes at that extended period of time, some random mage or diviner will notice. Won't that bring unwanted attention to, well, me? And what I am, where I'm originally from? There's too many risks that contradict what you've told me, and why you've kept me basically locked away here or behind a damned mask. So I demand you tell me this." I narrowed my eyes at them. "Why?"