Chapter 1

It's a bit past six in the evening and it's that time of the year when people make plans for end-of-year holidays. My girlfriend and I are here for dinner at the Chicken Licken outlet in Arcadia. Uppermost on my mind is to explain that things aren't as rosy as I expect. I'd have to leave the office earlier than usual to meet up with her.

"Abdul, it's better you take me to Cape Town this year or I'll follow my friends to Mafikeng."

"Mafikeng?" My face distorts. "You want to leave me here in Pretoria?"

"What's wrong with that?" She pushes the burger plate away and lifts up from the chair.

"So you want me to spend the festive period alone? Never!"

I stroke my chin, trying to digest Lerato's words. But the attendant who served us returns to ask if we need his attention.

"No," Lerato replies. "We're fine." Her curt reply underlines her mood. My woman is visibly upset with me.

Having promised to take her to a coastal city for holiday, she can't wait to hear the departure date. We could have made the trip last year December, but limited funds on my part didn't allow. So, I'm hoping we'll make the trip this year unfailingly.

We've been together for four years and she's one lady I don't toy with. Pretty, domesticated and supportive, ladies like my woman are hard to find these days. When doubts hit me, I set her up to check if she'll date someone else, but dear Lerato always passes my test of loyalty. Despite being a college student who often needs funds, she remains committed and I appreciate that. That's why it hurts when she demands something I can't provide.

Lerato has a round face that holds half-orange cheekbones and a fleshy chin. Her neatly plucked eyebrows arching over her eyes prompts the idea a robot carved them. When she looks at me, her hypnotic eyes dig deep within as if seeing the flow of my thoughts. Indeed, I'm lucky to have this lady who brings peace to my life. I have nowhere else to look in terms of searching for a future partner. Lerato is my final bus stop and I'm proud to say so.

So, telling me she wants to hang out with some people in Mafikeng bring me nausea. What if those so-called friends arrange a male partner for her and my woman meets someone better than me? Or some village folks find her attractive and steals her away? I'm not ready to lose Lerato, neither do I want to share her with someone else.

Sometimes I wish Home Affairs will release my work-permit so I can get a proper job. This asylum thing isn't giving me the kind of status I wish for. As a BSc holder, I should be well paid at work and even be driving my own car by now. But all I get by month end is six-thousand rand.

Salary raise matter is the reason I watch political news on TV. Perhaps, the government will up the minimum wage very soon as promised. Struggling kwerekwere like me will benefit immensely from such a decision.

With a fatter salary, pleasing Lerato shouldn't be a hassle. Annual holiday trips like this won't be put off. And, of course, I can then take the bold step of proposing marriage. But at the moment, things are too tough to think of living with a partner, let alone the serious business of raising kids.

What excuse will I give her this time, if I don't have enough cash in December?

"Look, the ruling party's elective conference will hold next month and everyone will be busy. Can we postpone this vacation until next year, 2018, when there won't be any political disturbance?"

"Next year again? Are you serious with me at all?" She hits the table, staring at me with widened eyes. "Abdul, why are you like this? How does the ANC conference affect you? Are you a South African? For God's sake, you don't even have work-permit."