Chapter Fifteen

"That was your sister?" Brandon asked me, raising one eyebrow. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, but don't worry about it. It's a whole ordeal and we don't have time to get into it." I turned around and started turning on mics and pulling out mic packs and earbuds. I checked the clock that was hung above the light board and saw that time had moved faster than I thought it did. It was almost time for a sound check for the boys. I figured I should go ahead and head down and get ready for the band to get here. I stood up but before I could move too far, Brandon grabbed my arm.

"Rose, if you need to talk about anything, I'm here for you." he said. I gave him a kind smile.

"I appreciate that, but I'm alright. It's just something her and I need to talk about but I'm not ready to yet. I recognize that." I shook my arm out of his grasp and walked out quickly with the equipment I needed.

"Rose, wait!" he called after me but I walked out of the booth and ignored his voice. I didn't want to talk about it anymore. I made my way to backstage with the equipment in my hands and almost dropped it when I bumped into Louis.

"Oops, sorry, love," he smiled at me.

"It's alright, I wasn't looking."

"You got a lot on your mind?" I laughed a bit and nodded at his question. "You want to rant about it?"

"No, thank you," I smiled gratefully. "I appreciate it though."

"I just want you to be happy," I scrunched my eyebrows at him.

"Why? I mean, thank you. But why?"

"Well, not only are you my friend, but you're Liam's girl. And I want him to be happy, and I know we're leaving soon and that's bringing him down, so I don't want you dampening the mood, too," he said playfully.

"I'm your friend? I'm Liam's girl?"

"He considers you his girl." There was an uncomfortable silence. "Do you not want to be?"

"No, I do. I really do, Louis, trust me," I sighed. "I just. It's so complicated because it's only a long weekend. You guys leave in, like, two days. I'm just scared of being someone's girl for only a weekend. And, God, I just got out of a relationship."

"You did? When?!" He shouted at me.

"I broke up with him, like, the day you guys got here."

"Oh my God, why? What'd he do?"

"Louis, I do not want to get into this, not now," I moved around him to continue to walk backstage. He followed be back there.

"No, I wanna know! Rose, tell me," he said, knocking my arm and spilling all the equipment out of my hands and onto the floor.

"Damnit, Louis," I bent down and started to pick up the mic packs and earbuds. I started to get up and bumped my head on something, sending me back to the floor and dropping all the equipment again. I just sighed and laid there for a second.

"Rose? You alright?" I heard a soft voice above me. I opened my eyes and saw Liam's face full of concern above me, his hand stretched out to me. I grabbed it and he helped me stand up.

"If I could just grab my equipment and get to my job, that'd be great," I said. "I'm alright."

"I hit you pretty hard," he said, pressing a soft hand to the spot on my head. I winced slightly. It was a little sore. I was sure there was a bump forming. "I'll find some ice."

"No, it's alright," I replied, pulling away from his hand. "I've got to mic you all now. I'll get ice later." I looked around. There was only Louis and Liam in the room. "Where are the other boys?"

"They all had to use the loo," Louis responded. "They'll be here in a few minutes, probably." I carefully grabbed all the equipment and moved it to a table so it wouldn't be stepped on. I miced Louis first, then the other three guys came in. Harry nodded to me and Zayn ignored me.

"Me next," Niall said, moving in front of Liam. I laughed quietly at his enthusiasm and Liam's face of confusion and slight jealousy as I laced the wire up Niall's shirt. When I was done with Niall, Liam stepped forward. All the other boys suddenly started a conversation about a party they were invited to for next week.

"Hey," Liam greeted me.

"Hi," I replied.

"Are you okay? You seem...quiet. Distant." I shrugged.

"I'm tired. Last night was a lot."

"Too much?" He questioned, an eyebrow raised carefully. I shook my head.

"No. I really enjoyed it. I just--I've never been to a party that big, or gotten that drunk and woken up in a strange room, or been in a gossip magazine, and it's just a lot."

"Gossip magazine?"

"Liam Payne and his 'Mystery Girl'," I quoted the headline that Brandon showed me. "I really don't care what people think of me, and I enjoy a good party, I do. But... I don't know." Harry's words from earlier this morning resonated in my head. This isn't going to last, Rose.

"There's something holding you back, Rose. What is it?" Liam put a hand on my shoulder, interrupting my negative thoughts.

"This is a conversation to have after the show." I finished micing him and took a slight step back.

"What if I want to talk about it now?" He pushed. I shook my head.

"Who's next?" I said around him to the two boys who hadn't been miced yet. Harry stepped up first.

"I'm sorry that I was rude earlier today," he apologized to me. I shrugged.

"It's alright, Harry. You're right. It isn't going to last." I finished micing him then Zayn in silence as the other boys kept talking to each other. Liam kept looking towards me and we made eye contact a few times. After all of them were done being miced, they moved to the stage and I made my way back up to the booth to get ready to adjust their levels if they needed it. I was stopped by someone pulling on my arm and spinning me around. Liam stood a few stairs under me with a sad expression on his face.

"Rose, I can't perform thinking something with us is wrong," He grabbed my hands. I sighed.

"Then don't think anything is wrong."

"Is something wrong?"

"I told you, this is a conversation for after the show."

"I won't make it through the show if we don't talk." I stepped down so I was only one step above him and gently took his face in my hands. I pressed my lips against his softly, trying to portray all my words I wanted to say into my actions. I didn't want this kiss to seem like a goodbye, but when he grabbed my waist and pulled me closer, it began to feel like it. The kiss quickly became more desperate and sad. Eventually I pulled away from him, but kept his head in my hands and he kept his hands on my waist. I leant my forehead against his and closed my eyes.

"Everything is fine," I lied to him. "It's just our future. But focus on now. Focus on your show, for all those fans who are excited to see you." He squeezed me into a hug and I sighed into it. "I'll see you afterwards." I whispered in his ear, and pulled away and walked up the stairs without looking back.