Chapter Nineteen

The next morning, I woke up in my bed snuggled up against Liam. His arms were wrapped around me, making it almost impossible to get up. But I really had to pee, so I squirmed out and quietly made my way to the bathroom.

I was washing my hands when I heard talking from the bedroom. It was Liam's voice, but he was hushed. I leaned my ear against the closed door to try to hear. I didn't want to walk in if it was a private conversation, but I was also super curious.

"No, Louis, I'm fine," he said in an exasperated whisper. "You said Rose told you what happened, so that's what happened." Pause. "What do you mean, my side? Her ex showed up and lashed out and I was on the wrong side of it." Pause. Sigh. "Yes, of course I'm okay to perform. If I wasn't you know I'd call you or go to the hospital." Pause. "Sure, okay." Pause, then a soft laugh. "Of course I'm going to ask her to go with us when we leave. I'm worried she'll say no, but I think we have a real connection that's worth pursuing." Pause. A super long pause. Man, Louis must really be going at him. "Lou, I don't know. I've only known her the weekend. Love is a really big word to me, you know that. But... I don't know. I'm sure one day I will love her. I don't want to give up that possibility." I stepped back away from the door and leaned against the bathroom sink. I felt my face go red and my breath quicken. Liam's voice saying the word love echoed in my mind. There was no way we could love each other yet. Like he told Louis, we've only known each other for, like, three days. It was too soon to suggest we love each other. I faintly heard Liam say goodbye to Louis and I waited a second before opening the bathroom door. He was sitting on the edge of the bed, his eyebrows furrowed. He looked deep in thought.

"Hey," I greeted him, sitting next to him. "How's your face feeling?" He turned to me and his expression softened. He smiled kindly and leaned in and kissed my forehead.

"Actually, not bad," he said. "Thank you for taking care of me last night."

"Sorry I got you beat up in the first place," I said. Liam took my hands in his.

"Your ex boyfriend is an asshole."

"I know." I sighed. "I'm sorry he came by. I've told him so many times to leave me alone and he just won't."

"You should get a restraining order," He suggested. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "No, Rose, I'm serious. Then he'll have to leave you alone. He won't bother you, or us, ever again." I looked deep in his brown eyes and contemplated what he said. I'd never see Riley again. But if he and my sister were serious, that meant I'd probably never see her again.

"I can't." I sighed. "He's dating my sister, and I don't know, I might want to forgive her someday. Not him, clearly. But they might be a package deal." Liam wrapped an arm around my shoulders and brought me into a warm side hug.

"This really sucks," he said, but with a sense of lightness in his voice. I started to chuckle at the absurdity of my life right now, and Liam joined in. Soon we were full on cracking up. Side splitting laughter that seemed to go on forever. "What are we laughing about?" Liam asked at one point. I just shrugged. I really didn't know why we were laughing so much, but I knew we both needed it. Eventually it died down and we were left in silence, feeling relieved.

"I'm hungry." I said. "Breakfast?"

"It's noon," he replied. "Lunch?" I nodded and stood up. He got up with me but grabbed my hand and pulled me toward him before I got far. He engulfed me in a hug and I melted into it. It wasn't until then I realized how emotionally exhausted I was. So much had happened in the last few days, from catching Riley and my sister going at it, to breaking up with him, to meeting Liam, to Taylor Swift's party, to making out with Liam, to Riley showing up and beating up Liam, and it was so much. I just took a few deep breaths and relaxed in Liam's arms, letting him support my weight. After a moment, I pulled out of his grasp.

"Thank you," I said to him, taking his head in my hands. "For everything you've done in the last few days. Thank you for supporting me."

"Of course, Rose." He leaned in to kiss me and I closed my eyes and felt his lips touch mine. In this moment, I was the most relaxed I'd been in a long time.

While we were eating leftover Chinese and cleaning up a bit, we talked about typical first or second date questions. I asked him about where he grew up and what it was like going to school in England versus public school in the US. I talked about going to college and working at the Hollywood Bowl. He told me some funny, embarassing stories about being in the band we talked for a long time about all the cool places he's traveled while touring.

"So where are you going next?" I asked him as I dried and put the last plate away.

"Well, we leave day after tomorrow," he answered. "And we're going up to San Fransisco for a few days, then we have a few days off as we travel up to Seattle."

"I thought you leave tonight?"

"I asked for an extra day here to spend with you." He smiled, pulling me into a hug. I smiled brightly back.

"That's so sweet," I said, kissing him lightly. "And San Fransisco is going to be a lot of fun for you guys."

"Have you ever been?" I shook my head. "Would you like to?"

"What?" Was he actually asking me now?

"Do you want to come to San Fransisco with me? And pressumably Seattle, then wherever else we go?"

"Are you asking me to tour with you?" He nodded. "Why?"

"Well, we all like you, me most of all, and I don't want to leave you. We'd offer you a job with us, and we'd pay better than your current job. Also, you'd get to travel and see the world. And get away from Riley. And you'd—"

"Liam, stop," I interrupted. "I'm sold. Of course I want to go with you."

"Then why'd you ask why?"

"I wanted to know your reasons." He laughed at me and pressed his lips against mine.

"My reason is I like you a lot, Rose."

"I like you a lot, too, Liam."