Chapter Eight

Liam smiled warmly at me and I stumbled to him. I was not surprised, because Louis had made that joke about setting us up, but I didn't expect Louis to go through with it. He engulfed me in a hug, which was pretty awkward, but still enjoyable. His muscular arms wrapped around me and I heard his heart beat fast in his chest. He squeezed me tighter and I reciprocated, and his heart literally skipped a beat. I smiled to myself. He pulled back but kept his hands on my shoulders for a little bit longer.

"Hello, Rose. How's your morning been?"

"Rushed. I didn't expect to be called in so early," I said with a light laugh. His face dropped.

"I'm sorry, it was Louis, I just wanted to—"

"Oh, no, it's alright." I waved my hand at his apology. "I was up already." I lied. He smiled again.

"Have you gotten breakfast yet?" I held up my coffee mug as an answer and he shook his head at me. "No, no. I mean a real breakfast. Have you eaten?" I shook my head. "How about I take you out to breakfast?"

"I'm sorry?" Did Liam Payne just ask me out on a date? Was I still asleep? I subtly pinched myself. No, I was awake.

"I think there's a shop around here that I've heard is phenomenal. Want to try it out?"

"What's it called?"

"Egg and I? Except I hope it doesn't have only eggs, I'm not really in the mood for eggs. What about you?"

"I could go for some breakfast foods, I always could." I said in confirmation. Liam's face lit up. His smile caused the corner of his eyes to crinkle and his eyebrows raised, forming slight smile lines on his forehead.

"Excellent! Let's go," he energetically grabbed my hand and rushed me out of the building, where a tall, hunk of a man in a black suit was waiting outside in front of a black car with tinted windows. The man opened the door for Liam and I and we crawled into the backseat. As the man walked around, I turned to Liam in shock.

"Did you have this guy waiting for us to go to breakfast?" Liam nodded, still smiling. "What if I'd said no?"

"I still would've gone, I just would've been sad." He squeezed my hand, and I realized he didn't let go of it. My insides were churning like crazy and I felt like I'd never been on a date before. I felt like I was in middle school again, holding hands for the first time. I was so nervous. Out of all the girls Liam could get, why me?

"Liam," I started to ask him my question, but as he turned to me, and I looked in those giant brown puppy dog eyes, I couldn't do it. "T-Thank you." I stuttered.

"You're so welcome, Rose," he replied. "And, hey. I know I only met you yesterday, but I've never seen the boys act to casual with someone they just met like they did yesterday. You really fit in with our group, and we can tell you have a lot of potential in your voice if you want to continue with that?" He said, his voice hopeful. I laughed.

"Hell, no. Singing will never be a career for me. I much prefer being backstage."

"That's fair," he laughed with me. "I know we just met, but I can tell we're going to be close. Close friends." He hesitated awkwardly. "I just don't want you to be the one who got away."

"We just met." He scooted closer to me.

"I've never believed in love at first sight."

"I still don't, Liam."

"Why do you think I'm trying to see you more than just once?" He smirked. I looked at his lips and all I wanted to so was grab his face and kiss him into tomorrow, but we barely knew each other, but he was Liam Payne, and I could tell he was looking at my lips, and we were drawing closer and closer, and he was just an inch away, I could feel his breath on my face—