The Annals of Silesia: Chapter I Part 1

Chapter I: Early Reign of Duke Wlost Dunin

Part 1

Part 1.

The young Duke Wlost of Silesia had a talent for organization. Taxes were paid on time, disputes settled efficiently, fairly and with firmness. The Duke was interested in men of talent, much to the dismay of his more aristocratic advisors, but it was this appreciation for results over rituals that made the Duchy of Silesia run efficiently.

 The Duke was interested in men of talent, much to the dismay of his more aristocratic advisors, but it was this appreciation for results over rituals that made the Duchy of Silesia run efficiently

                                                                Duke Wlost Dunn of Silesia                                                                      

Mayor Jerzy of Krosno, a lowborn burgher of that town was one of these talented men that made his way into Duke 's inner circle. Jerzy was a weapons maker and armorer by trade and became the largest supplier of arms in Silesia leading to his eventual rise to Mayor of Krosno. When Duke Wlost was awarded the Duchy of Silesia, the Mayor of Krosno's reputation as a strong leader, thorough organizer and tough deal maker was well known. The Duke wasted little time vetting Jerzy. The Mayor of Krosno so impressed the Duke that Jerzy would be asked to join the Duke's council and eventually made Chancellor of the Duchy of Silesia.

 The Mayor of Krosno so impressed the Duke that Jerzy would be asked to join the Duke's council and eventually made Chancellor of the Duchy of Silesia

Mayor Jerzy

Duke Wlost's friendship with Mayor Jerzy, as strong as it was, was not without their disagreements. In 1067 the County of Cieszyn, in southern Silesia, was without a lord. Mayor Jerzy wanted the Duke to press his claim on Cieszyn with the King. At this time, not all of the Duchy of Silesia was actually under Duke Wlost's tutelage, and this may have upset Jerzy more than the Duke himself. The Polish King, Boleslaw Piast, was undecided as what to do with the county. He could keep the county title for himself. This would risk upsetting all the Dukes of Poland, not just Wlost. Boleslaw could award Cieszyn to Wlost. This would appease Wlost, but to the agitation of the other Dukes, something the King wanted to avoid. The King settled on a compromise that the Duke could accept. The County of Cieszyn was awarded to Baron Sieciech Topor, now Count Sieciech of Cieszyn. In Return for the County of Cieszyn was offered to Duke Wlost as a Vassal.

 In Return for the County of Cieszyn was offered to Duke Wlost as a Vassal

Count Sieciech

With the succession of Cieszyn settled, Duke Wlost was content to move on with the daily administration of the Duchy, or so he thought. At the next Silesian general council, a representative from Count Sieciech arrived to pay homage to the Duke. Count Sieciech not arriving in person was against normal etiquette of the court unless the Count had sufficient reason, but the representative had none to offer. The Duke of Silesia should have been very offended by this, and he was, but he dared not show his emotions outwardly. The representative did dispense with typical flattery. Mayor Jerzy, on the other hand nearly walked out on the council, and had to be convinced to come back in by other council members. After the drama subsided the general council convened as normal.

General council meetings were used to conduct duchy business, discuss policy on tax amounts, and dish-out punishments for lawbreakers. Lesser nobles could attend the general council meetings, where they could express their opinions on matters of policy, discuss issues of law, and bring up grievances and disputes to the Duke. This particular council went without issue until the council was ready to disperse, at which time the representative of Count Sieciech asked why the Count had not been offered a seat on the council. Many nobles and council members gasped at this. The Duke of Silesia waited for the air to clear and plainly explained that if the Count wanted to have a seat on the duchy council one must attend the duchy council. After the laughter subsided, the represented bowed to the duke, but before leaving expressed great disappointment at the conduct of the council today.

The general council adjourned for that day's meeting. Traditionally the following day the duchy council met privately. No dignitaries, no ambassadors, no other nobles other than the council itself. The conversation was dominated by the topic of the Count. The Mayor Jerzy of Krosno characteristically wanted the Count's head on a pike, the Duke had to remind the Mayor that such talk from anyone, let alone a lowborn burgher, would soon see his own head on a pike. This subdued the Duke 's hotheaded friend, and Jerzy bowed repentantly to Duke Wlost. The Duke of Silesia listened to each member of the council.

Marshal Wszebor Wlostowic wanted to take a wait and see approach. He wanted to observe the behavior of Count Siesiech some more but thought allowing him onto the council now would undermine the power of the Duke greatly. Count Sieciech must submit to Duke Wlost unconditionally before consideration to the council. Chaplain Friederich Prochaska thought Duke Wlost should grant the Count a seat at the council, reasoning that he was now the most powerful noble in the duchy second only to the Duke. How could this council possibly keep Count Sieciech out of the court? The Duke heard all the arguments about the Count, and adopted Marshal Wszebor's wait and see policy. He explained, simply, he could not let the Count's poor behavior be rewarded with honors on the council. Only time will tell if the Count will take his proper role within the duchy as my vassal, the Duke explained.

 Only time will tell if the Count will take his proper role within the duchy as my vassal, the Duke explained

Marshal Wsezebor

With the matter of the Count of Cieszyn settled, a feast was held, which was customary after the monthly council. All the nobles in attendance were welcomed to join at the expense of the Duke, and the feast represented Duke Wlost's gratitude to his Vassals.