The Annals of Silesia: Chapter II Part 2

Chapter II: Yaropolk's Rebellion

Part 2: The Battle of Medjybij

Down the long plains toward the direction of the Medjybij encampment, King Svatislov, and Marshall Sweitoslaw could see Dobrynia's Cavalry encampment and his men busily forming up ranks. Dobrynia galloped up and down his battle line yelling and provoking his men in a frenzy. Dressed in Boyar style armor, a rounded helmet with a short angular point at the top, long plated noseguard and chain mail mesh that covered the remainder of the face and mouth that wrapped around the neck, and full chain mail shirt covered in scale plated chest armor. The brutal Dobrynia wielded an enormous Sagaris type ax that was dubbed the Terror.

 The brutal Dobrynia wielded an enormous Sagaris type ax that was dubbed the Terror

Dobrynia in Full Battle Dress

In command of the vanguard of Prince Yaropolk's rebellious Army, Dobrynia formed up in a long thin line in front of his encampment. The encampment was nestled in the middle of a U-shaped curve formed by the Pivdennyi River. King Svatislov of Kievan Rus and Marshall Sweitoslaw of Poland could see Dobrynia' back was against the river with a small bridge as the only escape route for the Rebels. The King and Marshall could also see in the distance, on the other side of the river, Yaropolk and the remainder of his army approaching the river bridge. Svatislov and Sweitoslaw needed to act fast to trap Dobrynia against the river.

As Dobrynia made a scene riding up and down his lines, the Polish-Kiev Army began to charge in three waves. The first wave led by Sweitoslaw's sergeant, Sir Lutoslaw followed by Sweitoslaw 's men and in the reserve wave was King Svatislov. Before ordering the charge, Marshall Sweitoslaw sent a rider to King Boleslaw, who was not yet arrived at the battlefield, informing him they would be engaging the enemy aggressively and asked his majesty to bring the remainder of the Polish Army to the field of battle as quickly as possible.

Dobrynia's men remained in place awaiting the charging enemy. They stood firm and did not counter charge. In fact, Dobrynia gave an order to loosen his thin line further right before Sir Lutoslaw's lead charge approached. Most of Lutoslaw's Cavalry charged right through Dobrynia's line, while some of Lutoslaw's mounted warriors came to blows against the spears of the rebel cavalry. High pitched squealing from horses being gutted by spearheads and screams of men taking hacks to their limbs and bodies started to echo on the battlefield.