Chapter One (a short draft)

The wind is exceptionally blustery today. I look out of my window and watch the trees sway in the sunlight. I notice something white floating across the field. A plastic bag. How cliche. as I watch this this plastic bag for a few moments whirling and twirling across the field through the blustery air, I notice that it is heading towards a cluster of old lifeless bushes and dead trees. It sparks a thought. I am this bag.

I was once so full of life. Whirling and twirling and have a wonderful time sailing though the winds life just like this graceful plastic bag. All at once it seems I made a wrong decision. A decision so sudden that I don't even remember much about making it.

I watch as the bag continues to head off into its doom of dead bushes never imagining that I'd be sitting here so deeply thinking about a plastic bag. All of a sudden a larger gust of wind comes through and sends the bag spinning into that lifeless pit.

The decisions I made sent me spinning into my own dead bushes of doom. There I sit day in and day out trapped in the dead twigs and leaves with no one to save me. No end in sight. The wind blows and sometimes I flap around but I just can't get free, forever to remain in stuck to these dead branches.

A noise from the living room jolts me from my thoughts. I walk out to see what's happening. My dog. My precious dog Abraham. One of the gusts of wind in my life that keeps my flapping. He threw is toy off of the couch where he had been laying in an effort to get me to come give him some attention. Which works. Sometimes I think if it weren't for him and his sister Pearl I'd never get out of bed in the morning. I'd have no responsibilities on my days off and I'd lay here like a lifeless lump staring at my phone for all of eternity.

I walk over and give him a pat on the head and he looks at me with those big mushy eyes like I'm the light of his life and that's another one of those things that keeps me going. They say it's the little things, and that must be true.