Naive Disposition

~Through Sleepless Nights~

Her eyes opened slowly with the faint creek on her bedroom door. In reality she knew that it was only him. Each morning he'd check to see she was ok. She had managed to convince him each time that she was sleeping, her heightened senses had always alerted her to his presence.

A faint click from the front of the house affirmed her suspicions that he'd gone out into the clearing again, a recent habit of his that she was thankful for. Often he would simply stay inside and stare out windows as if he were in some sort of paranoia induced state, with the quietest of sounds causing panic.

She dragged herself out from under the covers as she scanned the room. A few wooden wardrobes lined the wall, and a small rug covered the floor slightly. Her gaze turned to the small bedside table with a burnt out candle still letting off a smoky aroma.

Her hands grasped at her half rimmed glasses, as she peered through them from a distance, revealing the more acute details of the room, such as the patterns that lined the walls or the intricate designs of the curtain that covered the room's only window.

The wooden floor crept as she finally pulled herself to her feet and towards the wooden door that secluded the room from the rest of the structure.

She gently twisted the handle and swung open the door, the hinges making only a slight squeak, possibly enough for him to hear. That didn't exactly worry her though, as she made her way to the front door, leaning her hand against it as she peered through the frosted glass lining the doorway.

It wasn't really spying on him. Well at least that's what she told herself. Rather she was curious of his actions as of late. Living for countless decades, confined to Earth, she had figured only humans could be found there, however his existence was testament that perhaps there were other like her, others who transcended human abilities.

Watching him as he sat peacefully in the grass, she realized that it was quite a rare sight. Not that it was rare for him to be at peace in the surroundings, but rather that she could observe such a sight without his realization.

She noticed that today he wore only a white collared shirt, unlike his usual attire of a dark blue coat, usually hanging as low as his knees. She'd allowed the coat to become synonymous alongside his silver hair, an attribute which she argued would concern humans, as it wasn't every day a person of teenage appearance sported pristine silver hair, in his defense however, it wasn't exactly his choice.

But today it was only his hair that would be his defining visual feature. As much as she wanted to go speak with him and learn more, her natural curiosity was opposed by her cautious demeanor. One would think she was conflicted by his presence. On one hand, she wished to learn more of his origins, considering he himself couldn't remember much before they met two years ago, but on the other hand, she was worried.

How were they connected?

Why was Icarus working with Zenix?

When would her nightmares end?

She pondered these questions over and over regularly, but now she'd decided. She gave into the desire to greet him outside.

With a slight creek, she ever so slightly crept out from behind the door and onto the front deck of the cottage, slightly out of his peripheral vision.

"Thank you"

She froze.

"How could he have noticed me?" she thought, her body petrified as she watched him turn to face her.

He tapped his right ear slightly.

"Heightened hearing?" she asked.

He nodded as he made a small smile, something of a rare sight. He stood up from his spot among the grass and walked over to her.

"Well, you failed to realize that I in fact wasn't asleep" Esteria replied brashly. "So I've bested the great Arcadia at least once, wouldn't you say?"

"Yes, well if you say so. But anyhow I'm glad you're awake. I wanted ask if you would be interested in going with me to the city?" he said.

The question seemed odd, even for him. Arcadia had never been fond of going near human society, despite their remote location. The closest city was the city of Munich, or at least that's what the humans the two had encountered called it. Despite a few being fluent in English, Arcadia and Esteria found that many spoke a strange language, perhaps it was devolved from the language that the pair spoke.

"Arc, when do you ever go willingly to the city?" she asked sheepishly

"Well I wanted to go with you so we blend in better, you know experience the culture?"

She looked away from his gaze, her eyes scanning the vague horizon that was visible through the trees.

"Arc, If we do that then we need to be back quickly" She said as she pointed to the sky.

Dark clouds on the horizon were barely visible, but would still spell trouble in the form of a storm. Something which their accommodation wasn't properly appropriate to handle.

"Sorry, I understand, it didn't even occur to me" He replied.

She turned back to him, not wanting to run the risk of being caught in a storm, but he had a point. They needed to familiarize themselves among the human culture if they were to survive undetected.

"We can go" she said cautiously. "But we need to keep track of the time, OK?"

"Yeah, that's an acceptable proposal"

With that, she managed to bare a small smile as she stretched out her purple dragon like wings from under her black hoodie.

His wings however, where unconventional to say the least. A pair of transparent wings with a golden hue phased onto his back. They looked angelic in nature, but technological in design.

She nodded as they took off into the golden morning sky, leaving a wake of fluttering leaves in their wake.