False Contempt

-Worrying Peace-

The warm rays of the sun had barely grazed his face, yet his eyes were already open as the light crept into the small room in which he inhabited. Despite the apparent early hour, the trees surrounding the small structure obscured the true time of day, allowing the sunlight in only once it had crested the top of the large thick trees that circled the clearing.

Inside however, he had already arisen, even before said rays broke the tree line. His eyes firmly fixated on the ceiling, which had been constructed so intricately. The small beams and rafters holding the roof above, adding the rustic appearance of the interior. His view shifted to the side as he turned his head to the fireplace. Small smoldering embers gave a faint orange glow, a contrast to the darkened pit where the fire burned only a few hours ago.

His attention soon turned to his posture, where he found himself looking down upon his sleeping arrangement, of which it was a medium sized couch. One may wonder why as such he was sleeping on a couch rather than in a bed, and that reason was affirmed as he carefully tread to the door a few feet away. Beyond that door lay a room where the only other occupant of this 'house' lived.

Typically he would mind his own business, often he would leave in the morning for the clearing outside, trying to find enjoyment among the forest that surrounded them, however this hadn't been the case as of late. With their location revealed to Icarus, neither of them were safe staying there.

Deep down he knew this was his fault, had he not gotten her involved with his own affairs, she would have been less of a target for Icarus. His most recent attack had shaken them both, and even caused damage as a result. But with the nature of human society and the fear of being discovered by some human government, the two elected to remain behind, albeit being more cautious.

He placed himself against the wooden door, listening for any signs of a sleeping individual.

Only a sight breathing sound could be heard, but that was enough to satisfy him and to calm his nerves.

He moved back away, not wanting to be caught, should she awaken suddenly. He had his fair share of awkward moment here for the few months he'd lived in the place.

His first night staying here should have been the last, however a surge of human like hormones and feeling left the two confused and estranged. But despite his sudden impulse towards her, she had allowed him to stay,
much to his gratitude.

Often their expeditions to human society would end with them both seeking respite at her house. He would insist that the couch was more than enough and she would occupy her room as usual.

He had only been in her room once. But for the both of them it was quite traumatic. One might say she was having a nightmare of sorts, in reality she was lucid in a said nightmare. He heard her panicking from her room and had burst in. While she dd recover, the experience was enough to turn him off from entering in for quite some time.

Treading softly backwards, he made his way to the front door. Facing towards her room, he swiftly opened the door slightly and slide sideways out into the warm sun in the clearing. The grass reached up to his ankles as walked barefoot around the front of the house.

A sharp glare caught his attention from his peripheral vision, as he turned to find two dark, metallic gauntlets leaning against the side of the house.

Had hadn't worn them since Icarus' unpleasant visit, mainly due to the pain they caused wearing them. He wasn't sure how exactly he acquired them, any recollection more than nearly 2 years ago was obsolete in his memory strangely enough.

The gauntlets themselves weren't exactly what one may expect. Looking like generic, metallic ones, these gauntlets were made from a dark black metal, most likely titanium. Crafted with a large metal plate that would protect the wearers hand, with individual plating for each finger. However, the most significant feature of them, were the long blades that ran down the outside of the gauntlets. Each one contained an extendable metallic blade, akin to a modern sword with serrated edges of one side. These blades were once his prized possession, not that they had such competition with no other possessions to his name.

However after they represented bad memories for him. They were designed as such to ensure commitment by the wearer, or at least that's what he liked to believe. The locking feature on the gauntlets meant that one couldn't take them off without the aid of another person, as once the gauntlets were on, the precision in ones fingers was removed by the clunky metal design. However that being said, one could remove them as he had done on that very occasion, albeit cutting into his arm and creating a severe wound, of which his last one had already healed in the months following the attack.

It was that attack that inspired him to take a new approach to the way he lived in her company. Less as an aggressor, and more as a pacifist. In his mind though, he would stand guard and fight again in the inevitable encounter that would one day threaten them. Be it humans or Icarus.

He sat himself in the long grass, his legs crossed as he lent back, supporting himself with his arms as he stared into the early morning sky, a slight tinge of orange was present and there were only a few clouds obscuring the sky.

He closed his eyes and smiled as he felt the suns rays warm his body. He was contempt here, he was happy. But he knew it would be foolish to be so contempt, he knew they were in danger. But he wanted to enjoy each day as it came.

He thought about this for a moment. And came to the conclusion that he could only say one thing.

"Thank you"