Unwanted Attention

-A Change of Plans-

A sharp realization had hit Esteria.

Had he never bought anything in his life?

It was no secret that he avoided human society as much as possible, but something wasn't adding up.

Why had he now decided to interact with them?

How had he survived this long without needing to spend money on basic needs such as food?

It didn't make sense to her, he sported what she imagined to be quite sturdy and possibly expensive clothing before, so how he acquired it without using currency was beyond her.

Esteria eventually shoved those thoughts out of her head, as of right now she had to deal with Arcadia's crestfallen reaction to currency.

She reached into one of her pockets that were hidden inside her hooded jumper. Feeling a two rounded metallic objects in her pocket as she reached in and withdrew them, revealing two small, yet highly intricate coins. Engraved with golden patterns and a silver outline, she held out her hand towards Arcadia.

"No, I'll find a w-"

"Arc, please. Just take them and buy it, you can pay me back later" she interrupted.

He looked up, expecting to meet her gaze, only to find she was looking outside through the window, out onto the street.

He looked back at the jacket for but a brief moment, before shyly taking the two coins form her outstretched hand.

"It didn't really matter, I just thought it was cool" he spoke quietly.

She let out a small sigh before turning to watch him walk to person in charge of the store.

"I'm sorry, I just want to get out of here" she replied quietly in a subtle annoyed tone.

She turned back around to the storefront, gazing out its windows to view the waves of people that passed by. A few stopped and talked, others crossed the road in a hurry and some made their way in and out of other stores.

This type of lifestyle didn't appeal to her. Everyone was only interested in themselves from her point of view, scurrying to their next task on their agenda. Its partially why she preferred the nomadic lifestyle of current.

As she gazed upon the passer-by's, she could make our the exchange between Arcadia and the woman who was manning the cash register.

She complimented the jacket and how she figured it would be a great match for his body type. Well it didn't take much to work that out. But then, silence. The two had stopped.

Esteria turned to see the young woman behind the counter frozen. Looking down at what Arcadia held in his hands. The two coins Esteria had given him. Arcadia turned to her, as if to call out to her for help. His face showed confusion, while the woman across from him appeared to be petrified at the sight of the coins.

After a few seconds of silence, she spoke.

"Take it, go. Now!" she exclaimed shakily in a slight European accent.

She motioned to the door as the Esteria and Arcadia hastily moved away, Arcadia dropping the jacket on the way out.

"Take it, go!" she yelled from the back of the shop. Her voice piercing the once silent room.

Her shouting sending shivers through the pair as Arcadia grabbed the jacket, the two then proceeding to run away from the store as around them the eyes of the whole city appeared fixated on them.

Without running the pair made their way deeper down the city street, bowing their heads to avoid the sight of those who passed by.

Behind them, they could hear a door slamming shut, presumably the shop they had previously ran from.

As they caught their breath in a smaller side street, Arcadia slipped on the black shaded jacket, as her turned to her though, he couldn't find words to describe what had happened. But Esteria knew it wasn't him, even so, she didn't wish to come across as hostile, especially after what had just happened.

"So much for keeping a low profile, huh?" she asked him, not wanting an answer particularly.

"I..i didn't mean it, ok. She just explode-"

"Arc..." she interrupted him, raising her hand into a hushing motion in front of him"

"I know." She said as she let out a small smile and a slight burst of laughter.

He was relieved to say the least, his heart still pounding from running. Though he rather enjoyed it, it wasn't often that Esteria would break into joy from such an event, but he wasn't going to complain. But he was surprised. He often wondered if she found him annoying or a pain to her. It was a thought that kept him on edge when choosing his actions. However this change in attitude was unprecedented. Maybe he did offer some enjoyment?

They both leaned against the brick wall behind them that lay barren compared to the shops around them. Across from the, a small restaurant captured Esteria's eye. Many people passed it and very little people were present.

She began walking towards it, knowing Arcadia would follow as she turned back to see her suspicions to be correct. She figured that since they were here they may as well find some enjoyment in the trip.

"How did I know you'd want to eat?" he said with a slight tone of sarcasm.

"That's one thing id expect you to know quite well about me. I'd be insulted if you hadn't" she replied playfully, as the two made their way across the street.

From afar, the black haired boy watched on.

Rewinds Remaining: 3

Soundtrack:

Shopkeeper interaction: Silent (Ace Combat 4 OST)

Back on the Street: Blue Skies AC5 Remix Instrumental (Ace Combat 5 OST)