Prologue

The morning was quiet, dew drops glistening on every plant and leaf. The moon sunk behind our mountains, its full face illuminating all in a soft glow. Stars freckled the ink-black sky, only a small coo of owls echoed from the forest a few miles away. All was at peace in the world. 'Til somebody decided to fuck things up.

     I was startled awake by a blaring alarm, red lights flashing in my darkened room. The TV blinked on, flashing a single message. RUN. I lept out of bed, throwing on what few clothes I had. Ripping off the sheets and blankets, I shoved everything into a duffel. A sleeping bag and backpack were leaning against the wall, filled with food and supplies. I scrambled around, searching for anything else that showed any sign of life living here. Finding nothing else, I slammed my hand on the bed and dresser button. They collapsed, both now wooden cubes. I threw them into my pillow sack, then raced out the door.

    Everyone else was rushing and screaming, yelling for things the couldn't find. "Addi! Where's my hairbrush! That thing's a family heirloom!" Luca yelled, her gray fur and chestnut hair puffed by the alarm. Addi signed violently, trying to explain. "You know I can't read signs! Give it back!"

    I ran to Addi, holding her hands and calming her frantic motions. "Luca, your hairbrush is already packed," I said over my shoulder. "We can fix your hair when we're safe. Now move!" Luca glared, her yellow-green eyes piercing through my back. but she reluctantly grabbed her stuff and raced down the cabin hall. I smiled at Addi, her cold hands shaking in my warm ones.

"You have all your stuff, right?" I asked calmly. She nodded, her golden waves bouncing. I could see a slight sadness shining in her silver eyes. This was the longest we've ever been in a house, and after a year or two of constant fear, she'd grown attached to it. And now she had to leave it behind. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her into a hug as a single tear fell from her eye. She sniffled in my shoulder as I pulled back. "We'll find a new home," I said softly. "One that's even better than this one. Maybe even near the ocean..."

Addi's face lit up at that word, a blue-green shimmer swirling through her skin. She pulled out a gold-chained necklace, holding a vile of silvery liquid. Her tear rolled down her cheek, reaching her chin. The drop fell as she opened the vile with a small Blop! She slipped it back under her clothes. I gave her a small smile. "We got to get your stuff."

Again, she nodded. Flicking out her hand, Addi pointed to her bags. Sky blue mist left her fingertips, thickening around the bags and forming a bubble. I grabbed her hand and ran with her down the hall. The door was wide open, Luca and Torin already in the car. I wrenched open the truck, throwing in Addi's and my bags. Slamming down the hood, I ran to the driver's seat. Torin sat beside me, whispering his elvish tongues. The house bent and creaked, windows cracking and boards snapping. The ground rose around its walls, sinking the house into the hill. I watched the last of the chimney filled with dirt, then started the car and hit the gas. Sand and rocks kicked up behind us on the dirt road, and we were on the run again.