Chapter 3: They Fought

Yet, his love for Veneziano is far different from what he feels for Spain. He always say that ‘it’s nothing special’, or ‘I don’t care about that bastard’, but he actually does. There wasn’t any moment where Romano thought he doesn’t care. But after a moment of thinking about it, he actually cares. Since North and South Italy were away from each other for a lot of years, Romano didn’t develop the huge love for Veneziano, unlike for Spain. It was different. He hated North Italy for being weak—and himself, which was the reason why a lot of countries bullied and held both North and South before.

Spain took care of him. He was the one who endured every curses of South Italy, the one who’s always there to support him, the one who always cover Romano’s messes, the one who was almost killed because of the Ottoman Empire’s desire to get the rugged brunet from Spain, the one who loves spending his free time with only his henchman and eat tomatoes, the one who stood beside him to be his father, the one who treasures him the most—because if Spain really didn’t care about South Italy, he would have just handed him over to France’s care. Romano might be tsundere and rugged towards the Spaniard, he still privately respects him.

Whenever Romano remembers the article he had read in a certain history book last time, he couldn’t help but get anxious. The article says, “South Italy’s now independent!” which even a bit of happiness didn’t run in his veins. By independent, only Romano would be the one to solve any problems. Meaning, he’s the one who’s going to stand on his knees, alone yet strong. He’ll certainly leave Spain’s side, after all. Or, it could be the other way around. By thinking those, a forlorn was once again drawn on his lips.

“—mano, Romano?” Spain called his attention, hoping that he heard him this time. He had been calling the male for almost three minutes already and a glance wasn’t paid on him. Because of that, it made Spain even more uneasy. “Are you alright? I’ll stop doing the cheer if you don’t want it.” The Spaniard cleared with his brows still covered in worry.

South Italy’s amber frames finally glanced slowly and blankly at the talking Spaniard. “...?” He tilted his head, telling Spain that he didn’t really hear any of his words at all. “What... What did you say again? I quite didn’t hear you, damn it.” Still with his accent, Romano turned his narrowed and anxious brows to furrow.

His affectionate boss smiled and patted him on his head, “You see, don’t worry about it, Romano. Everything will be alright.”

While in the middle of comforting his brunet henchman, a man, who had been releasing a stare of grudge towards the seemingly immortal people—Spain and Romano—was making his path towards them. Both of his hands, which were resting on his sides, were gripping repeatedly, as if those were making a ‘close-open’ exercise. At first, his steps were slow, until it suddenly became quicker and landed a loud punch on Spain’s left cheek.

The Spaniard was thrown away because of the strong impact, causing him to temporarily lose his sight. Romano, who was a bit shocked on what happened, lately looked at his boss lying on the ground. “S-...Spain! Spain, damn it!” Staggering feet, was what he had. Fear started to cover him up, since he wasn’t used on getting beat up. He didn’t know if he should save him—Romano was really losing it. He was scared—that Veneziano might see how weak he is.

Since Romano was having a hard time walking closer to Spain, the man took the advantage, pulled Spain’s collar up and landed another painful punch on him. But before the man could land that punch on Spain’s cheerful, fluffy face, Romano’s adrenaline rush bought him in front of the Spaniard and let his face get punched instead. This time, the young brunet was thrown away this time.

“Romano!” His boss exclaimed in a tone of worry, once again. Both of them didn’t know what had gotten into this man’s mind, but they were sure that this guy was holding a grudge against them. Spain knew that he was paying them a scary stare awhile ago, the man was observing the two’s movements, yet the former pirate didn’t tell Romano—because he wouldn’t want to see him get creep-out in this uplifting ‘reunion’ day they were having.