Chapter 5

(This song works too well for Monouchrome's Jekyll and Hyde)

Hyde groaned as he rested his head on Jekyll's work table.

"I want out." he grumbled.

"This is unusual for you, begging to be let out so soon. It's only been three days." Jekyll said, glancing at Hyde as he worked on their potion. "Eager to see Miss Redwall, I assume?"

Hyde felt heat creeping onto his cheeks as he looked away. "No...shut your mouth."

Jekyll let out an amused chuckle and bent back over his work. It had been three days since Emily's visit. Hyde pretended like he didn't care, but Jekyll could tell he was truly infatuated. He still didn't have a clue as to why she chose such a horrid and filthy goblin to fall in love with. 

He heard the lab door open and his and Hyde's head jerked up to see who had entered.

"Hello, Henry! Busy as per usual?" 

His dearest friend(and sometimes lover) Gabriel Utterson had walked in, a morning paper under his arm.

Jekyll smiled warmly. He pushed his hands on the table to stand while simultaneously shoving down Hyde's head onto the table. 

"Ow! Bastard!" Hyde yelled as he rubbed his bruised and freckled forehead.

"Good to see you, old friend!" Jekyll smiled as he gave Utterson a quick hug. "What brings you in?"

"I'm afraid a bit of bad news," he hands Jekyll the paper. "Someone broke into a jewelry store last night in the West End. I came to you if you knew if Hyde was responsible or not. He usually is a troublemaker."

Jekyll reads the headline and shakes his head. "A job like this was done by a professional. Too high class for a brute like Hyde."

Hyde glared at the men. "HEY! I could if I bloody well wanted to!"

He came over to Jekyll and peered at the newspaper in his hand: Priceless Diamond Jewelry Stolen! No sign of Break In!

"I take it back. Definitely could not pull off something this big without breaking something, knowing me." he admitted with a shrug.

"So I assume you're going to be busy for a while with this?" Jekyll asked, a frown on his face.

Utterson sighed. "Yes, it is my job as a lawyer to take care of these things, sad to say," he leaned in and whispered in Jekyll's ear. "Perhaps once I finish though, we could have a bit of fun~?"

Jekyll and Hyde both blushed upon hearing this since Utterson had been with both of them.

"G-Gabriel, please! Be serious here!" Jekyll stuttered before looking away with a flustered smile.

Utterson chuckled. "Alright, fine. I'll let you get back to your work. Do feel free to come around when you have the time." He gave a flirty wink and left.

Jekyll turned back to the potion with a speck of pink dust on his cheeks. Why was his dear friend always such a handsome flirt?

Suddenly, he had an idea. "Hyde?"

Hyde's head turned to his counterpart. "What do want now?"

"I have something that needs investigating. Besides, you want out to see Emily, right?"

Hyde's bright green eyes narrowed. "What exactly are you getting at here, Jekyll?"

Jekyll turned and face the brown-haired brute. "I want you to go investigate Emily. Remember, her notes said something about a power source being needed for the automaton she wanted to make."

Hyde's eyes went wide as he grabbed Jekyll's collar and brought him down to his level so they were staring eye to eye. "Are you bloody suggesting that she's guilty of a crime like this?!" he growled menacingly.

"No, not at all. I just want you to make sure she isn't." Jekyll swatted away Hyde's clawed hands and stood back up.

"All I want is for you to go and ask her if she knows anything. I have a feeling that you can get more out of her than I can...which is a bit disappointing to me." he sighed.

Hyde thought for a moment. He DID want to see her again, and this seemed like a valid excuse. Plus, Jekyll was actually letting him out, and that was something that ever rarely happened...

He crossed his arms. "Very well. I will go spy on her for you."

"When you put it like that you make me sound worse than you, you ugly creep." Jekyll placed a hand on his face and groaned in exasperation. 

"I aim to embarrass you." Hyde sneered.