Chapter 3

The pair entered the dining hall for lunch which looked like it was set up for 3 more people including the four of them. Bill and Ana greeted his parents before being seated with the 3 extra chairs still empty.

"Are we waiting on someone?" Bill asked folding the napkin over his lap.

"Ah, yes, The king of Moldova are here with his wife and daughter. They should be joining us soon."

Bill nodded while Ana stayed silent. While she was allowed to be there she knew better than to interject into royal matters. The servants served tea while the two pairs waited on their guest, Ana always felt awkward having to dine with his parents. She knew they didn't necessarily approve of her despite having to deal with her anyways.

"His royal majesty, the King of Moldova, his wife Queen Elena, and his daughter Princess Caterina" the envoy announced.

Everyone at the table got up to greet the others while Ana curstied letting them know her low rank.

"This is our son, Bill, I believe he is only two years older than the princess." the king introduced.

"Your majesties, princess." Bill nodded at the trio. "This is my companion, Lady Anastasia, Countess of Roche."

"Your majesties, princess." Ana greeted while still curtsying after which Bill helped her up.

Bill felt suspicious that his parents would set up a meeting with him and the Moldovan royal family. He looked over at Ana who was obviously uncomfortable feeling out of place at at meeting between two royal families making it seem even more suspicious that they specifically invited her.

They all sat down for dinner and Ana drowned out the conversations pushing her food around on her plate. She didn't care nor did she understand politics but did find herself glancing over at the princess often then at Bill making sure he wasn't looking at her. She was, fair, even Ana had to admit. She was tall, slim, and adornished with olive skin and dark thick hair. Everything someone could want out of an European princess and on top of that her country was currently one of the richest and most powerful. When Ana compared herself to the princess she felt lacking in comparison.

"And while we enjoy your company, let us discuss the important reason we are here." The Moldovan king spoke. "It seems your son already has a woman in his life."

Ana perked her head up now listening into the conversation.

"Men have women, but Bill knows his duty." the king spoke. "She is his companion, not a wife, not a Consort either."

"Father I can see where this conversation is leading," Bill started.

"I'll leave." Ana interrupted and got up from the table.

Bill was shocked at her actions and stood up with her.

"Anastasia, please behave. Sit back down."

"No Bill, I won't sit here as your parents arrange your marriage right in front of me. You do not honor me, Bill." She blurted as the table gasped.

"Your son does not know to teach his woman to respect him." The Moldovan king spoke again.

Bill's father got up from his seat and grabbed Ana's arm turning her to face him. With a swift motion raised his hand to her face slapping her sending her to the floor. Ana wiped the blood that flowed from the cut on her lip formed by the pinky ring of His Majesty.

"Swedish men allow the whimsies of a China whore." Caterina laughed softly to her mother who were both still sitting at the table with the English queen.

Bill knelt down to help Ana but she pushed him away.

"Anastasia, behave yourself immediately."