Jolly Sailor Bold

"What is it? What is required?"

"...A mermaid, Captain Novak."

I felt my stomach tie in knots at the words. It had to be a bloody mermaid, of course! One of possibly the most dangerous of creatures that be in these waters.

I heard one of the crew shuffling towards me, turning to find that it was none other then Gabriel.

"Gabe." I nodded in acknowledgement.

"Captain, I heard it is said a kiss from a mermaid protects a sailor from drowning! Perhaps we take that as an advantage?" he questioned.

Clearly, he'd no idea what we would be up against. "Don't be a fool! Mermaids are all female, son. And lovely as a dream of heaven. But when it comes time to churn butter, so to speak, they snatch a sailor out of a boat or off the deck of a ship, have their way, and then the sailors are pulled to the bottom, and drowned, and eaten." I stated. I swear this lad had no brains.

"So, what be the plan to capture one of these creatures?" asked another one of the crew, this time from Sebastian. We needed to have a set location, for if we were to use the ship we could possibly loose her, and our only way to the Fountain of Youth, which is why we needed a mermaid in the first place.

The tear of a mermaid along with water from the Fountain of Youth, drank from the Chalices of Cartagena. You needed two, for one chalice is to contain a mermaid's tear -typically a tear of joy, for those are more potent- and one is not. Whoever drinks the one with the tear, will be granted the others years, and live longer. While the other, unfortunately dies, and is dried up to ash and bone.

As for the location, a place that is safe to retreat to, and is a stupendous light source, like a light house! There just so happened to be one on the other side of the bay we were anchored.

"Have ye seen the lighthouse on the other side of the bay?" I asked.

"Aye. Be your plan to light it, as so to attract the mermaids?" asked Sebastian. It was grand to know I not be the only pirate to know about mermaids. "Aye, lad. We must make our way now, for the sun is setting and we only have a short amount of time to be ready." I stated.

-

The boat ride wasn't too long, but it had taken a small toll on the time. "Alright, Samuel, I need you to light the lighthouse, then, face it's light onto the water where the boat is." I commanded.

"Aye." he followed, and made his way up to the lighthouse.

"I need six men ashore, and the rest of us shall be the bait." I commanded. I didn't fancy women as I did men, so there be no possibility of me getting dragged under, as for the other men, I hope they can find it in themselves to not fall for the trickery.

We paddled a little more out deep, the light of the lighthouse shining down right on us.

"Now, we must sing, for they enjoy singing." I stated.

Without hesitation, I started to sing. And eventually, so did the rest of the crew.

"My name it is Maria, a merchant's daughter fair,

and I have left my parents and three thousands pounds a year,

my heart is pierced by cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,

there is nothing can console me but my jolly sailor bold.."

-

After what had seemed like hours of singing, I noticed something swimming about in the water. I turn around and right there resting on the edge of the boat, was a mermaid. But this one wasn't a mermaid, it was a merman. A beautiful one at that. "Lord save me." I prayed. He had short dirty blond hair, striking green eyes and freckles mostly across the middle of his face.