Death

An explosion. Panic. Fear.

Rythian ran back to Blackrock as fast as he possibly could, even ignoring that nagging feeling that told him how harsh reality was.

Zoey had failed.

He tried to ignore it, he tried to hold back his tears. And when he reached it, that beloved place where happiness once was, that place he once called his home...

Was nothing. A crater left in its place, no castle, no bed. No magic, no science. It was like a nightmare, that Rythian wished he could go back to sleep and forget all of it.

Because there, in the heart of the damage, was the one he loved so dear, the one he held so close to him.

In the heart of destruction, was Zoey.

Zoey, her hair burning brighter than ever with the color of blood. Her skin, paler than it had ever been, covered in cuts and blood and bruises.

Her right arm, missing.

Zoey, who was the one who created those happy memories. She who created Blackrock, she who made it more than just a shelter, more than a stronghold. She who made it their home. It was she who made it a home.

She who meant most...

Rythian could have cried then, if he could feel any emotion. He felt nothing, no sorrow, no regret. He was numb. But perhaps, it was because he was too shocked, too sorrowful, it was far too much for him. All he knew was to hold what was once Zoey, hold it so close to him, pretending that she would wake up, feeling the dying heat of her body. Then, emotion returned to him, as he cried to the sky. He cried her name out so loud, he wanted the Gods to hear him. He wanted the world to know, to tell them what he had just lost and would never have again.

Still grieving, he carried her to the lake of which she first fell from. He walked slowly, dragging his feet, wanting to stop and collapse to his knees in despair again, but he trudged on.

Can the Gods hear me?

He set her down in the cool waters, washing away most of the blood, but he brought her out of the water quickly, so as not to lose her heat. He held her close, and hummed a soft tune to her, as if she was still there. He felt his own eyelids grow heavy, finally feeling the effects of being so near Nuclear Radiation. His body ached. It hurt to even breathe.

Am I going to die?

He continued to hum, and the humming slowly became singing. As much as it hurt, he kept singing, singing for her. He promised he would never stop, until she came back to him.

"What kind of life can I really hope to have..." He whispered, tears beginning to well up to cleanse his eyes.

"Living all alone like the monster that I am...

Humans go so quickly, they fall so deep asleep...

Never show the shock... Never hear me weep..."

He sang softly, the ironic lyrics in tune as tears fell from his eyes. He wiped them quickly.

"I'm sorry Zoey... I promised I wouldn't cry. I'd sing another song for you, alright? Another song... And I promise I won't cry." Rythian whispered to Zoey, his voice cracking, weakening. He was going to die, he knew it. But he kept pushing on. He breathed in a deep, excruciating breath, and sang.

" You fell in love with the monster that I am.

Uniform it suited you

Into war you ran

"Cant we stay together forever and a day"

Living out our lives

Hand in hand we'll stay...

You were the one who turned my life around.

I can still see your burning red hair....

You were the one who made my heart ache so...

It seems it only just happened yesterday.

Beyond the red caps.

Beyond the brown caps.

Beyond the madness that I simply assumed.

Beyond that burning red hair,

That I loved and treasured...

Was a defiance of what I depised...

I have never felt more alone than I am now.

Guess I'm alone again.

Living alone? Well I'm no stranger to that.

Just a stupid distraction

Lies told from a liar to the mirror.

Lies told into the air I cried

'Just this once.'

I told the liar in mirror

I'd forget my own pride and apologise

To the you who's gone now.

Just this once...

...

Guess I'm alone again.

Guess I'm alone. Again." He sang, and then his voice cracked again, and he had to take in another breath full of agony. He could barely hold on. Her heat was beginning to fade away from him. He sobbed, now unable to hold back anything. Reality had hit him with full force, that Zoey was dead, and he would be too. But he knew that he had to carry on singing, for Zoey.

"Counting out the clouds that had always floated by

Somehow even sunrise had made me want to cry

Then it finally hit me and brought the final blow

You had ran and left me long ago...

Living all alone? Well I've had my share of that.

Better just to leave say goodbye and turn my back

Don't think I'll forgive you but that heart you broke in two

Even now will always beat for you..." He realised he had gone back to the first song he sang, and now he had run out of tears. Or maybe, he was just too weak to cry. He turned his head, agonisingly, to look at Zoey, and he ran a hand through her beautiful red hair. Her heat had faded away long ago, but he wanted to pretend it was still there. He brushed his fingers over her face, and then over her lips, still soft, still beautiful. And then, slightly hesitant, he leaned down to kiss her. What he wished he could have done in life, he could only now do in death. One was cold and dead, the other, in pain and dying. But it was enough.

If I could live again... If you could find forgiveness for someone like me...

Could I see your face, just one more time, I beg you...

Please...

And finally, after holding out for far too long, unceremoniously, ungracefully, just a sigh, just a sound escaping his weak lips, Rythian breathed his last...