The Worst Cup: The Death of Diego Armando

The dream tortures me everytime I drift to sleep. Not only a dream, but a memory that is impossible to change. Unable to shout, runaway or even wake up in time before it's all over. Reliving everything that had happened that day and it happens everytime I lay into my bed. 

                I found myself entering a courthouse alone. Folder and files are all packed inside my old briefcase I held at my side. My blood was boiling as I entered through the courthouse doors. Was it fear? Anger? Sadness? A terrible feeling tore apart my gut the more I walked inside. 

               To my surprise, I wasn’t headed to an actual courtroom. I traveled in the opposite direction of the courtrooms and I went in the same direction as the cafeteria. It was early in the morning and there wasn’t any food being served yet, so I was as confused as ever. Walking through the halls was odd, too. There was barely anyone there, but the one person that I did find greeted me with a smile.

                “Armando!” he said. I wanted to yell out at him in greeting, but I was not in control here. “What are you doin’ here so early? There ain’t any trials scheduled ‘til noon and the cafeteria ain’t servin’ food yet, but someone has the door open and the lights are on. Weird, huh?”

                I chuckled as I approached the man whose name escaped me at the time. “I’m not here for a trial, sir,” I answered. “I came here to get answers from someone. I’m going to question them in the cafeteria- that’s why it’s open.”

                The man nodded in understanding until a confused look came upon his face. “You’re a lawyer, Armando, not a detective,” he pointed out the obvious. “What are you doin’, questionin’ a man?”

                “Relax, it’s just  a small background job for a co-worker of mine.”

                He laughed unexpectedly. “You mean for that Fey woman?”

                I recoiled, surprised for her name to come out of his mouth. I stayed silent, wanting to hear what more he had to say about her.

                “The whole world of law knows her by now. You’re a lucky man workin’ with such a young, gorgeous lady. Goddamn, I’d do all my work for her too. You’re a real lucky man, Armando.”

                To hear my Kitten spoken like this made me angry. I hear it nearly everywhere I go. True, it does make me feel like to have such a wonderful lady, but for all of these other lawyers drooling over her makes me worry. They don’t even pay any attention to the only case she’s had… and lost. And what makes this man think that when I said ‘co-worker’ make him think about Mia immediately? I could’ve meant Grossberg or Hammond, too. (But if I were this man, I would probably have Mia come to mind before those older men.) At least not too many people knew that we were dating, which is how she wanted it to be and I was fine with that. ‘Always respect a Kitten’s wishes.’ That’s one of my rules.

                “Don’t get carried away,” I told him. “I’m only her co-worker and I’m not just doing this questioning thing for her- I’m a little curious about this myself.”

                The man looked a little downed by my response, hoping for a little more details, but at least he didn’t have much more desire to stick around much longer. “I see. Well, I’ll let you go back to work, Armando. Good luck with your questioning.”

                I gave him my thanks, even though I had no idea why he wished me luck on such a simple task.

                It was time to get moving, at last. I was almost late for the questioning that I scheduled with the person and I did not want to keep them waiting. Dashing through the last hall, I finally made it to the glass door entrance to the small but always busy cafeteria. I pushed them open and stepped inside.