Hating Arlo (1)

Hating Arlo (1)

Your Song - Ewan McGregor (Moulin Rouge)

Remember to vote and comment. I appreciate every single vote :) I am so excited to start this...I hope you guys are excited to read this. This chapter is just a taster for what's to come...soon. It won't be long now! It might be a bit boring now but in the next few chapters, you will be introduced to lots of new characters. 

Instagram: lydiarose_61

The stench of burning surrounded me like a thick, heavy blanket

The stench of burning surrounded me like a thick, heavy blanket. I coughed once. And then twice. My eyes began to burn painfully as I searched the room for any answers. My eyes landed on the bottom of my door, where smoke was floating its way into my room. I swung my legs over the bed and hurried over to the door in panic. I could only think of one thing as I stared at the smoke filling my room. Fire.

********

In the event of a fire, the smoke alarm is supposed to sound, alerting the occupants of the house. However, that did not happen in my house. Why? To this day, I do not know. What I do know is that I lost three very special people that day, two to the fire and the other to grief.

Many people said it was a tragedy, that not only struck my heart but their own. At the funeral, they cried and patted my shoulder sympathetically. It angered me. Rage simmered through me at the thought that these people acted like they had lost their loved ones. Some were close to my parents but others barely knew them. It infuriated me that they pretended to weep for an 'old and dear' friend.

Amber, my sister, didn't say a thing. In fact, she's barely spoken since the incident.

She's grieving, that's what I keep reminding myself. Amber has always been more sensitive than me—fragile. We may be twins but we are nothing alike. Amber is shy and reserved whilst I am bold and stubborn. She used to be happy all of the time whilst I, I'm moody. So you see, we may look alike but we are very different. We are our own people. And we deal with things differently. I only wish she wouldn't shut me out.

I lost my parents too. I'm grieving. I've had to deal with this all alone too.

My evil aunt suggested that Amber and I attend a boarding school. Different boarding schools. Amber simply nodded her head in agreement, without thinking twice. It took me longer—I attended regular school my whole life. All of my friends were here—I couldn't just leave them. I needed them.

But at the same time, I wanted some time to start over without my parents. I had to come to terms with their death and learn who I was without them. I only realised we were attending different boarding schools the day we left. At the train station, I gave Amber a big hug, ignoring the way she froze. I promised her I would call her once a week. Amber didn't say anything to me. But I did catch her watery eyes as she boarded the train.