one.

he was running and he could not stop. he didn't know why, but he could not stop. what was he running from? even he had no idea, but it was steadily creeping closer.

namjoon awoke with a start, clutching his chest. his wide eyes twitched back and forth, scanning his room for danger. as far as he could see, there was none. he examined the room once more, squinting in the darkness. as his eyes adjusted, he could see that his room looked usual. the window on the wall to his right coated everything in a soft light, an aurora. namjoon could see all of his belongings in place but something seemed off, as if he was being watched.

he turned slowly and carefully to his left, as if trying to be silent. every time his bedsheets crinkled with his movements he visibly cringed. he wondered why he was trying to be quiet. he read the time on his analog clock on the left wall in his room. 

1:11 am

namjoon let out a breath he hadn't known he was holding in and loosened his grip on his shirt. he straightened out the fabric that had been crumpled in his hand and reached over to his night table. he picked up his cellphone and turned on the screen. he had eleven notifications.

[11] calls from yoongi - now

namjoon's heart began to beat quicker than normal. 

is yoongi alright?

namjoon opened his phone using his fingerprint before opening the iphone app. he scrolled through his contacts before finding yoongi's. he then clicked on the call icon and waited. the ringing of the unanswered call only caused his heart to beat faster. the ringing repeated three times before yoongi picked up.

"hello?"

yoongi sounded like he had just woken up, but namjoon could hear the telivision playing in the background.

"you called me first, min"

"no, i didn't. i literally just woke up because of you calling." 

yoongi sounded annoyed. namjoon was getting annoyed.

"yes, you did. want me to send you a screenshot? because you definitel-"

"whatever. it's whatever. go back to sleep, joon. why are you even awake so fucking late? it's fucking one in the morning. good night."

then the call was over, just like that. but he still had the phone pressed against his ear. something had seemed eerie to namjoon about the call. maybe he'd been dreaming? he didn't know.

"yeah, it's whatever." he repeated, to nobody in particular. 

he eased his grasp around his phone and laid it down on the bed next to him. namjoon inhaled deeply and didn't let out his breath for ten seconds. when he finally exhaled he dropped himself into a laying position, as if he had breathed his strength out into the air.

his eyes lingered open, staring into the emptiness. he watched as the air became too grainy for comfort. he finally let his eyelids droop and listened to himself breathe. in, out. in, out. in, out.

---