four.

namjoon sat silently in the living area, then decided to turn the television back on. he reached for the remote on the coffee table, but then he remembered that it wasn't working and got up. he turned it on manually and stood back.

"-seemingly painted with a paintbrush. these portraits portray mr. kim and his fiancée. the only dna collected from this room suggests that mr. kim was the solitary human being in the room, but his stab wounds suggest otherwise."

namjoon's eyes flitted around the scene on the screen, taking in as much as he could. it was true, the drawings in blood did look like they were extremely professional. namjoon laughed aloud at the idea that an artist being a murderer.

he let the television drone on, but he wasn't paying attention. instead, his mind drifted to what had happened last night, or, rather, early this morning, as he sipped on his cooling mug.

yoongi, maybe he had been drunk? namjoon didn't think so.

"no, he'd sounded like he just woke up, not drunk..." he tapped at his chin with his free hand, deep in thought. his eyebrows were furrowed and his facial expression looked like that of an extremely confused namjoon.

"then how'd he call me when he was sleeping?" namjoon questioned aloud. he faced out the window behind him and examined the outside world. he watched as nature moved along, although time felt paused in his own existence.

there were two birds perched on a tree immediately outside of the window. one, the larger of the two, was sporting a deep brown coat and a feathery red belly. the second, the smaller, wore a light brown down, speckled with shades of coffee and caramel. the small lighter bird was studying the larger with curiosity in its beady eyes. the larger dark brown bird paid no attention to the smaller, surveying the lawn for worms or insects good for its next meal. the smaller bird then cocked its head to the side to face straight into the window.

namjoon jumped slightly as he basically made eye contact with the tiny sparrow. now that he could see its eyes, he could see that it looked... abnormal.

usually he looked at birds and they looked back with purity, emptiness, and innocence, but this bird lacked all three. namjoon felt shivers snake down his spine and he shook the thought from his head.

birds can't hurt you, namjoon, he reminded himself. you're bigger than him. stronger than him.

he sighed and shook his head once more. he looked back towards the television screen, just in time to hear the last few words on the case pass the newsanchor's lips.

"currently police are searching for a suspect in the seoul area. if you have any information, please call..."

"unimportant..." namjoon muttered to himself as he picked the remote back up and shook it. he shook it one or two more times and tried the buttons again.

he clicked the 'off' button a few times before the screen flipped off. namjoon sighed in relief.

---