Collecting

I wheeled up to the front door, and pushed the doorbell 1-2-3-4-5-6 times. I then stood, grinning and fidgeting slightly.

"I'll get it!" I heard a voice call. A woman answered the door, then gasped.

"Hello once again audience!" I yelled. "When we left off, you were filling out a survey!" I heard frantic running, then three kids were standing at the door, jaws open. All of them just stared up at me. I tossed the group a smile.

"Awww, hello." I said, bending down to the little blonde girl.

"You're a cutie!" She continued to stare at me.

"This is just like making youtube videos- no one responds!" I said jokingly, and the teenage girl laughed slightly.

"You must be Rachel! Hi!"

"Hi."

"This'll be fantastic!"

******

Lets do this....

I knocked on the door.

A woman answered. "Who're you?"

I grinned. "Harry. Harry Styles."

Wait a second... 3. 2. 1.

Realization suddenly swept across her features, and I couldn't help but giggle under my breath.

"Oh! Come in, come in, have a seat!"

"Thank you, ma'am."

I walked behind her into the little house.

"Sarah! Sarah I have a surprise for you!"

"What do you want, mom?! I'm busy!" A teenage girl's voice echoed down the stairs.

"I think you'll like it!"

"Doubt it!" She yelled, but soon I heard small steps pounding down the stairs. Suddenly I was staring into the eyes of a teenage girl, who squealed loudly.

"HARRY!" She squealed again, and her mother laughed.

"Hi." I said, grinning.

"Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!" She squealed again.

"Listen...." I racked my brain for the name. It suddenly popped into my head.

"Grace, you won something online- you'll get it later, but basically you won a contest and we can hang out awhile! How does that sound?" I smiled broadly at her as she fanned her face, taking short breaths and giggling. I turned to the mom.

"We'll talk later. When she's not as.... Surprised." The mom nodded politely, smiling. I turned back to the girl, walked over to her, and put a hand on her shoulder.

"This'll be fun!"

******

I stood in the spacious lawn, sweat pouring down my eyebrows like thick paint on a canvas. I couldn't do it. I swept my fingers through my hair, rubbing the sweat off on my jeans. I could preform in front of a sea of faces, but one alone was too up close and personal for me to bear. I took a slow, wavering breath, and walked up the steps to the door. Now I had to knock. I raised my hand, and it hit the door with a slight thump. A dog began to bark. I pulled my sleeve down lower and ran a hand through my hair.

"Hello?" A young boy answered the door. I felt my fear crystallize into a sharp pang, knocking the wind out of me. I froze. He stared up at me.

"Do I... Know you?"

A lump formed in my throat. I shook my head. He stared up at me.

"Uhhhh hold on a second."

He shut the door slightly. "Mom! Come here a second!"

He grinned up at me, and who I assumed was the mom appeared. "Hello! I'm Megan Ward. You are?" "A...." I took a breath. "Could I get a glass of water? Please?" Her eyebrows furrowed. "Sure." I felt a bead of sweat roll down my cheek, as if my hair was crying. She returned with a glass of water, and I picked it up and took a very slow breath, shutting my eyes, then had a sip. Calm down.... I opened them and took a calmer breath. It's fine. "I'm Adam Young. Or um Owl City." "Oh! Come in, come in! Sophie's at piano lessons, I'll go pick her up. Make yourself at home!" She escorted me to a sofa, then did a slight bow gesture, and left. The boy snorted. "Sophie's in for a surprise."

******

I walked up to the door, and knocked.

"Ello?! It's me!" Silence.

"Anyone home?" I caught a flicker in the corner of my eye.

"By me I meant David Tennant, by the way!" I turned. No cars in the driveway... I caught the flicker again, and decided to wait. All the lights were out.... Maybe no one was home? Suddenly, a pair of eyes appeared in the window, which caught my gaze. I smiled and gave a small wave. The eyes widened, and disappeared. The door opened. A girl stood in its frame, beaming.

"Hello, Doctor."

"Fine day isn't it?"

"Fine day indeed."

"May I come in?"

"Sure."

"This is going to be brilliant."

"I'm sure it is."