《Chapter 6》

"Come on...please...wake up...?" How peculiar. Who was that? Their voice seemed common. Vaguely common at that—but enough to recognize it. It could have had similarities to a neighbor or a close friend. Perhaps he'd passed by them in the dark world somewhere at sometime? Or perhaps...

A sliver of light passed through the dark void of Rouxls' consciousness, as muffled voices faded in and out of his hearing. It was hard to understand them at first. They were muffled, like his ears had been stuffed with cotton. The tone of the voice seemed to brim with stress about the situation at hand. But about what? Had something happened?

No. Nothing had happened. At least, nothing he could remember. Everything had been relatively fine. The last he could recall...he was with someone. He wasn't quite sure who. But it was someone. That someone and him were doing something fun together. Then...it went blank. All just blank.

A numb feeling unexpectedly nudged at his side. "Come on..." There was that voice again. It sounded so awfully familiar. It was as if he could almost put his finger on it. It was at the tip of his tongue. He's swore he'd heard it somewhere...Who could it possibly be? Was it the person he'd seen before the blank in his memory? Was it someone he briefly knew? Or maybe someone he didn't know? Who—

......Lancer.

Everything was coming back. The argument, the fight—

The sliver of light became wider, followed by a strange gasp just to his left. Brightness seemed to engulf his vision, blinding him momentarily in a bright white. It was headache inducing, aggravating a much unneeded migraine which wracked at his head.

Rouxls groaned, unable to focus on where he was. Everything was extremely blurry and so disorienting. Regardless, he tried to see whatever he could. At first he could see the poles of a metal frame bed, then the colors of black yet thin comforters. They felt warm. A blue hand lay limply close to a small bump which he could only assume to be his body. On top of that bump was his other arm, wrapped in a pale white wrapping. It felt stiff. It was then he had concluded he was probably in the small hospital wing of the castle. He didn't know why. It just seemed that way.

He wanted to get a closer look for better understanding of why, however. But as he tried to focus harder, another pounding sensation in his head caused him to squeeze his eyes shut once more. But even doing that caused some of the aches to continue. It took what felt like an eternity for the pain to pass, even though it had only taken mere seconds. Eventually though, it mellowed enough to open his eyes.

So to try not to aggravate the pain, he opened them only slightly to see Lancer at his side with a worried expression. "Lan...cer...?"  His words felt so out of focus; discombobulated by an uncontrolled disfunction of the body's communications. Everything in his mouth suddenly felt numb.

"Yes, yes it's me!" Lancer seemed to cry, tears forming at the edges of where his eyes should be. The prince then scooted a little closer, grabbing at Rouxls' unwrapped and holding it shakily. Lancer then gently  but shakily squeezed his hand whilst a single tear rolled down his cheek. "I...I thought you were dead..."

"...D-...dead...?" Rouxls breathed, still unable to shape his words entirely. The idea boggled his mind that he could have been dead. Surely he hadn't...died.

"You had a pretty nasty injury. It sure looked like you were dead." Came a gruff voice, sounding ever so slightly gentle with each word. Confused at the new voice, the Duke turned his head slightly to find himself staring at an awfully familiar face.