《Chapter 4》

Rouxls walked along a beaten path, following the twists and turns as they made their way to Card Castle. It had been a long day, fixing some puzzles and improving others. Though, not much had gotten done since he had been so tired lately.

Lancer was a constant concern especially with how the king had been acting toward the boy. The king seemed strangely protective lately. More so, the Duke of puzzles had to walk a lot more and waste his precious amount of time working on puzzles just to get from place to place. Things were different ever since the king of spades had done what he'd done.

This brought his wandering thoughts to his arm; the very reason he had to walk now. It was the reason he could no longer teleport in a flurry of light or even use advanced attacks. Right now, Rouxls could only manage a few small attacks which barely left a mark on any opposing team.

Closer now to the entrance of the castle, Rouxls could see the barred door up ahead. The duke stopped just in front of the gate, signaling to the guards inside to bring up the bars. While he waited, he looked down at his arm. Hesitantly, he pulled the sleeve of his uniform down just enough to see it. It was the very mark prohibiting his advanced abilities. However, the blue man quickly pulled the sleeve back up as the guards came in sight of it.

One of the two Hathies waved silently with one of its tentacles. Smiling slightly at the acknowledgment, Rouxls waved back. But he felt nervous about going into the castle. He didn't know why.

As soon as the Hathies had given their silent greetings and left, the Duke walked onward into the castle. His steps echoed down the vastness of the halls, something like distant music answering back.

Something seemed off. As Rouxls walked farther into the depths of the castle, he seemed to get this strange feeling  like there was something gravely wrong. Like at any moment, there could be something disastrous right around the corner. His pace quickened as a cold but light gust of wind from nowhere lifted into the air, only to stay that way. It sent chills down his spine. The loud clack of his shoes seemed to grow louder as he made his way past deactivated obstacles and the rooms of the guards. The reverberations of the sound lingered for several seconds at a time as if to be in a massive room regardless of how small the hallways were. The echo carried on, seeming to delve deep into his head like drills as they pounded harshly in his mind.

The duke started to feel extremely nervous now about something. The echoes get even louder. The walls of the corridors begin to shrink around him. His breath has started to hitch in his throat. Heart starting to pound, blood running cold—

"You've arrived later than usual." A deep voice called. Rouxls jumped at the voice, stifling back the sudden urge to yelp in surprise at the noise. He turned around to be faced with the king of spades, seeming mad at something.

Stumbling on his words, Rouxls replied, "I was'st caughte up in mine puzzles."

"So it seems." The king said, crossing his arms across his mighty chest. After a huff, the king turned directly to the duke. "Don't ever come late again. For now, head to your quarters as normal. If I see you out of your room, you will face the consequences."

"Of course thine Majesty." Rouxls said nodding at each of the monarch's words. The king of spades glared strikingly at him, before turning and leaving in the direction of his own quarters. The duke sighed in return to see him leaving.

With the King now gone, that nerve wracking feeling seemed to slip away. Now, Rouxls could finally regain his focus and head the rest of the way to his shop. He continued forward, only needing to take a couple more turns before coming in sight of the small shop ahead.