0.5

"okay so if this is gonna happen, we have got to be prepared." said mr.hillis as he ran around the room gathering sheets of music.

it was around 3:45 on a tuesday, after school, and i was staying to prepare the solo i was going to sing at the concert.

"i have three options here for you. all very different." he sprawled out the sheets in front of me.

"one, rolling in the deep by adele." i looked up at him with an uncertain look. "bit overplayed and predictable, but very impacting if paired with a voice like yours." he said directing his attention to the next paper.

"two, bellyache by billie eilish. this one is a good one if u want to be delicate and show that your voice can be controlled yet beautiful." i furrowed my eyebrows, thinking.

"and last but not least, alive by sia. a very hard one but if we can get it right, it will make an unforgettable impression. it's the most powerful song i know." he said looking down at me with a satisfied look. "take your pick."

i looked down at all the papers. the choice was obvious.

"alive" i said simply.

he smiled with a twinge of determination.

we worked for hours and hours until i decided to finally walk home. the song sounded good not gonna lie.

i poured my heart and soul into that song.

and thats why it was good.

as i walked home, i felt a sudden pain in my hip.

most likely from when a broke it a while back.

but that was normal, and i never thought to much of it.

but it's not like i really had a choice. my dad would never take me to a doctor. he would never care.

so i live with it. its not like i cant walk. it could be so much worse.

i get home and flop down on my bed.

i thought i was home alone, but i hear swift footsteps moving towards my door.

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN." i hear as the door slams open.

it was my father of course, with a beer in one hand and a classy attitude in the other.

"school. i told you yesterday." i responded calmly. i was used to this.

"well i didn't here you did i!?" he said shifting onto his hip.

"you never do." i mumbled under my breath.

"what'd you say to me?" he said in a low yet piercing voice.

"nothing." i said barely above a whisper.

"I SAID WHAT'D YOU SAY TO ME?!" he yelled as he shattered his beer bottle against my door frame.

"YOU NEVER HEAR ME!" i screamed. i never dared to raised my voice to him.

he slowly began to walk toward me, his intense expression painting terror across my face.

he stopped right in from of me, only losing eye contact when he slapped me across the face.

"i have given you everything you have you bitch. don't disrespect me in my house."

and with that, he was gone.

i would have cried.

but i am too numb.