[Prologue] The Question

“To ask why we fight is to ask why the leaves fall. It is in their nature.”

You ducked under the glinting blade, bringing up your own sword in a parry as you pivoted away. You launched into an offense immediately, lunging at your opponent. You swung the blade low, causing him to jump into the air, just as you’d hoped. You unsheathed a blood red dagger from your waist and plunged it into your opponent’s chest. He inhaled a shocked breath before crumpling to the ground as you yanked the dagger out.

You crouched down next to the dead man, cocking your head to the side as you surveyed the black blood seeping out of the wound. You rummaged around in the pockets of the body, withdrawing a wallet, phone and a set of keys. You stood, watching the body emotionlessly. Suddenly, the skin on the body started to shimmer and bubble before melting away, quickly followed by the muscles, blood and bones. It was a gruesome sight but one you were accustomed to. You watched as the last remnants of the man faded into nothingness, leaving behind only the clothes.

You surveyed the dank warehouse you were in with distaste as you wiped the blood of your dagger on the clothes left behind. You returned it to its sheath as you banished your sword back to the in-between. You pocketed the items you’d thieved from the body, sighing softly to yourself as you did so.

“Perhaps there is a better question.”

You looked around the warehouse again and spotted a few cans of lighter fluid. A small smirk on your face, you headed over to them and started drenching the warehouse floor and walls with the fluid. You went around the entire warehouse a number of times until you were certain nearly every inch was covered. When you were, you retreated to the fire exit.

You pushed the door open and paused in the frame, withdrawing a box of matches from your jacket pocket. You pulled out a match and drew it across the rough side of the box. A small flame flickered to life and you threw the match over your shoulder before stepping out into the alleyway. You didn’t pause when you heard the roar of flames coming to life, only smiling faintly as you reached the street. You glanced up at the dark sky, eyeing the smattering of stars and pale moon before turning towards the sleek black motorcycle parked nearby. You swung your leg over the seat and pulled out your own keys, sliding one into the ignition as sirens started blaring in the distance. The bike roared in response and you shot one last glance at the burning warehouse before driving off, the wind tugging at your clothes and ripping through your hair.

“Why do we fight? To protect home and family. To preserve balance and bring harmony.”

When you were sure you were far enough away from the warehouse, you slowed down before stopping at an abandoned park. You turned the bike’s engine off before dismounting the vehicle. You headed over to one of the swings and sat down, pulling out the wallet and phone you’d taken from the body. You flipped through the wallet, unsurprised to see there was no identification. It contained only munny and what you assumed to be a credit card.

You took the munny and put it into your own wallet before snapping the credit card in half. You knew that whoever had given the man the credit card would find out soon he was dead, so using it would be the same as putting a target on your back and dancing around screaming for them to come kill you. With that, you returned the wallet to your pocket. You’d burn it later.

You flipped open the phone, ignoring the familiar insignia of the Asins Suņi and instead navigating to the text message inbox. You scrolled through the texts intently, searching for one which would name a location. Eventually, you found one that had been received two days ago.

The target will be found in Hollow Bastion.

Your eyebrow arched as you read the name of the world. It was rare for the Asins Suņi to venture from your own world, but then again, the population, and therefore the number of employable people, was dropping at an alarming rate. And considering you and your allies were doing their best to decimate the number of Suņi, they’d need to start ‘recruiting’ elsewhere.

You shrugged slightly before powering the phone off and putting it in your pocket. You had the information you needed, your target had been eliminated and all you had to do now was head back to the Base and report to your boss. You got to your feet and returned to your bike, settling down on it once more. You took one last glance at the night sky – now glowing red in the distance thanks to your fire – before starting the bike and driving off.

“For me, the true question is; what is worth fighting for?”

-----

AN: Okay, there's the prologue. I know many of you will be quite confused about what's going on, but that's rather the point here ;D Don't worry, a lot of questions will be answered in chapter one, which I'll be publishing soon.

I will warn you now: This story will contain blood, gore, swearing and crappy fight scenes. There's also a risk of cliff hangers and confusion. Hehehehehe.

If you're wondering where the KH/FF people are, they'll be showing up very soon too, don't you worry!

Also, the quote used in this - the italics in speech marks - is not mine. I heard it when I was watching the advert for World of Warcraft: Mists of Panderia on Youtube whilst waiting for a video to play. It has been tweaked very slightly - by one word - but it still doesn't belong to me. And neither does Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, while we're on that subject! Just the plot and any OCs, as well as 'you' I suppose!

Rates, comments, adds to lists, messages and fans are all very much appreciated!