Waiting out the winter

There were wind gusts blowing quite heavy at times outside Iorveth's tent, making the canvas buzz from time to time. It was mid-March, and winter still had its icy fingers holding the land. The temperatures were so cold, and the land was still deep with snow. Iorveth had a small brazier in his tent, but even it wasn't keeping the tent as warm as he liked. He was covered up in his bedroll attempting to sleep, but finding even that difficult in the cold. Many in the camp had taken to doubling up, utilizing the extra body heat to stay warm. Still other's like him, we're just trying to make the best of it alone.

They had moved the camp over the border into Aedirn, as soon as they were long gone, Roche's man made the Oxenfurt guard aware of the ambush. He had just returned to them early that morning with news that Emhyr's body had been retrieved, and was being prepared to be taken to Vizima. Thaler, and two of his associates were waiting in Vizima, for Ciri's coronation, as soon as it was official, one was to approach Ciri. They were to request an audience for Roche, and the other for Iorveth. They hade made sure to keep them separate, so as not to allude to any connection between them. At that moment it didn't really matter though, the temperatures were too cold to travel in, so even if Ciri was officially the Empress of Nilfguard, no one could travel to them to bring the news.

Iorveth, rolled over for the umpteenth time that night, as he was finding it hard to get comfortable. He had slept in the cold so many times in his life one would think he would be used to it by now. However, it was still something he had a hard time dealing with, especially when it was as cold as it had been as of late. He couldn't help but think of the time spent in Anni's bed, her warm body against his, her hands on his skin. Why he couldn't forget her he didn't know, well, he did know, but he didn't want to give it a name, for that would make it all the harder to forget. He hadn't seen Tirawedd in his dreams in a long time, and hoped that meant she was no longer trying to push him back to her daughter. It made him feel guilty that he left both women like he had, one because he was young, and lacked the courage to go against tradition. The other because he couldn't see any future for them, and felt she was better off without him.

He heard the sound of footsteps in the snow outside his tent, he opened his eyes, and looked to the entrance, in time to see it swing open. He reached up, and pulled his scarf down over his eye, as It'lein entered the tent. She had never seen what was behind the scarf, she only knew he had a scar he hid, of what nature that scar was she didn't know. However, he still felt he shouldn't let her see what was there, for she may let it slip to the others.

"What is it, Lein?" He asked her.

She came closer to him, and the light from the brazier lit up the unshed tears in her eyes.

"'I'm afraid." She whispered.

It wasn't the first time she had come to his tent when she had been dreaming of her family's murder. For some reason only he was able to give her back a sense of security, for which he didn't mind at all. He pulled up the blanket, and she climbed in next to him, laying with her back to him. He covered her up, and kissed her on the top of her head. In the warmer months, he would have let her have the bedroll to herself, but it was way too cold for that. He realized that at some time, she would be considered too old for it to be appropriate for her to share his bedroll. Until then, he didn't mind if it made her feel safe, when she was reliving her worst nightmare. He laid his head down, and draped his arm over her side, and with the added warmth in the bedroll, he finally found sleep.

He awoke in the morning to the feeling of It'lein moving his arm off her, he opened his eyes to see her trying not to wake him. When he moved his arm for her, she looked at his face, and at first, she smiled, then the smile turned to confusion. It was then he realized his headscarf, had moved from his face. He reached up, and pulled it back in place, hoping she wouldn't ask about it.