Chapter One: A Chance Encounter

SCHINK
   Maeve's knife had just slid across the throat of her latest victim, a bounty she picked up from her boss. "Goodnight kitten," she said in taunting tone. With his wallet in hand, she jumped up onto the rooftop of the nearest house and darted off into the night. As she effortlessly pounced from one roof to the next, she relished the rush of the cool night wind. Her life as a thief always made her feel so alive. She took pride in her work, often called upon for her mastery in stealth and pickpocketing. But there was one person who always offered the greatest rewards for her services, and Maeve was always eager to serve. As her mind wandered, she soon came up to the hideout without realizing it. Maeve made her way through the grand halls and finally to the throne room.
   "Is it done?" A woman's voice asked. Brandishing her bloodied knife, Maeve produced her victim's wallet from the pocket of her trench coat and tossed it to her boss.
   "An outstanding job as always," Lian said as she rose from her throne. She slowly walked to the edge of the raised platform she stood on, a devilish grin of pride plastered across her face.
   "Merci, Your Majesty," Maeve said with a bow, an equally deviant smile on her face. "Is there anything else you need done?"
   "No, not tonight. You are free to return home. Your payment will be delivered at sunrise," Lian told her. With that being said, Maeve bowed once more and departed from the House of Aico. After yet another successful night of bounty hunting, the usual sense of pride filled her heart. Maeve knew she was the greatest thief in the Realm. She could have anything she wanted, no matter how big or small, or how valuable. All except for one thing, she thought. There was still one prized possession she just simply couldn't get her paws on, no matter what she tried. It wasn't gold or jewelry or some precious stone. It was a weapon, a rifle known as the Exarch's Constellation. A weapon so powerful, it was rumored to have the power to destroy a star in a single shot. The weapon belonged to a monk who had supposedly ascended into the heavens and returned to the Realm a god. If such rumors existed, she just had to have that rifle. Unfortunately, the monk-turned-god never slept. He was always awake, always watching. Because of that, stealing his weapon was to great of a risk, one that Maeve wasn't willing to take. Even though she'd never risk trying to steal it, she had made several attempts just to catch a glimpse of it. She had only seen it once, and it looked as if it glowed with power. It was a beautiful sight, but it didn't look as if it was capable of destroying a star. The rifle was smaller than she'd expected and just looked like a standard weapon. But if it truly could do what others say it could, that made the rifle that much more valuable. But it didn't matter at the moment.
   Before long, Maeve was walking up the steps of her front porch. She pulled out her keys to unlock the door. She hung her coat up, kicked off her shoes, and made her way into the kitchen for a late night snack. As she searched the fridge, she grabbed a container of tuna salad and various produce items for sandwiches. While looking for condiments, she found the cookies she had baked that morning and decided to snack on those as well. Satisfied with her choices, she chowed down on everything she made and downed a glass of milk with them. Afterwards, she decided it was time to sleep. Maeve made her way to her bedroom and hopped into her bed. It had been an eventful, yet exhausting day, but she was used to it. Her life was full of excitement and thrills. 
    However, something felt missing. Her life was perfect, so why did it still feel somewhat empty? When her face grew hot, she remembered the one thing she didn't have: love. No one to share her bed with, no one to satisfy her desires. Maeve knew it was gonna be another sleepless night if she didn't take care of her ongoing problem, so she undressed herself and grabbed her favorite toy from the box under her bed. She switched it on and slid the 10-inch vibrator deep into herself. As always, it brought her just enough pleasure to calm her raging hormones. Despite how good it felt, she longed for the touch of another person, someone to hold her close and kiss her. She wanted to know how it felt to be caressed and have a lover softly nibble on her neck. She wanted to be pleasured in many ways by someone she loved, but she was never successful in that department. Men and women alike turned her down because they feared her. Most people in the Realm knew she was a ruthless assassin who killed and stole for a living. What they didn't know was what lie beneath the surface. On the outside, she presented herself as a cold-blooded killer. But on the inside, she was lonely and desperate for love. She needed someone who would treat her right and spoil her. She wanted to know how it felt to be wanted, to be someone's whole world. Unfortunately, people were too afraid of her, so she'd never get the chance to show someone a different side of her. As Maeve contemplated this, she could feel herself nearing her climax. She let out soft moans and arched her back as her body quivered with pleasure. 
   With her hormones finally calmed, she switched off her vibrator and placed it back into its box before getting into her fuzzy pink pajamas. As she tried to fall asleep, she thought about how pleasant it would be to have someone to cuddle with in bed. Tears began streaming from her eyes as the loneliness and depression settled in. All she could do was hope that someday, someone would be kind enough to give her a chance. But it was nothing more than a foolish dream. Maeve knew she couldn't be loved by anyone, not with her corrupt life choices. She closed her eyes and before long, she was fast asleep.