Epilogue

It had been eighteen years since Elizabeth's parents died. Their love story was bittersweet with a tragic ending. She grew up hearing so many stories about them from the other Paladins. Life was never the same for them following their death. Her father was hurt deeply enough that he decided to return to the cosmos, never to be seen again. Every so often, she would receive some sort of sign in the night sky to remind her that he was always watching over her. Other than that, Elizabeth only ever knew her parents through stories and pictures. She kept one in a frame on her nightstand, a picture of her mothers holding her and standing together in the hospital. It was her favorite picture because she could see the love in their eyes. She could tell they were both wonderful people. Standing in front of her mirror, she held the picture in her hand, then looked at her reflection. It was disappointing that they couldn't be around for her graduation ceremony, but she had to live with their absence.
   "You would both be so proud of me," she said, holding back tears.
   "They most certainly would," Furia said. She had appeared in her doorway without warning, catching Elizabeth by surprise. "You have done well I'm your academic studies and grown into a wonderful young lady. Your mothers would be so happy with the way you turned out."
   "Thanks grandma," Elizabeth said. She hugged Furia tightly, not ever wanting to let go. Furia stroked her hair gently and kissed her forehead. She then separated herself and patted her on the back.
   "Come on, kiddo, you don't wanna be late for your graduation," she reminded her. Elizabeth nodded and placed the picture back on her nightstand. On their way to the graduation ceremony, all she could think about was how proud her parents would be if they were still around. She thought about the way they would have celebrated with her, taking her out to eat and spending the whole day having fun. Life without them certainly wasn't easy, and she was unsure about how she'd face the real world without them. Ask she knew was that she had to try, for their sake. It's what they would have wanted, so she took a deep breath and prepared herself for the graduation. Elizabeth was ready to take on the world and do everything she could to continue making her parents proud.